Why Power Metal?

Originally posted by Symphony
As far as Nevermore go, I've always bracketed them with Iced Earth, Steel Prophet etc although they have a more progressive sound than the aforementioned bands.

It's almost become its own genre now as "US Power Metal". You'll find that this breed tends to bypass the obvious fantasy inspired themes and the catchy melodies that perhaps the Europeans might prefer a la Helloween, Gamma Ray, Heavenly, Edguy, and of course PowerQuest :) . Examples of US Power Metal would be: Nevermore, Jag Panzer, and Eidolon (although these guys are Canadian). In fact, the 'north american' interpretation of power metal seems to lean towards a form of 'speed power metal', with influences extending to early thrash bands like Megadeth. Has anyone heard Coma Nation? How is that not Megadeth from the So Far So Good era...?! It's very cool.

I'm not saying one version is better than the other because it's all a matter of opinion obviously. I personally prefer the Euro-based power metal just for the old singalong choruses, but I can't deny the aggression of Iced Earth etc :D

My Iced Earth starting point suggestion would be "Something Wicked this Way comes". Excellent album!

Iced Earth's magnum opus is Something Wicked, but the most accessible might be Dark Saga. I would think Horror Show would be the last IE album to get, along with Burnt Offerings - just because they are not the best on offer, as agreed by Jon Schaffer himself....

The only reason Jon feels that way is bc he was going through Hell at the time of the recording of the album. Burnt Offerings is ONE of my favorite albums by Iced Earth. I like the dark and heavy side felt on Burnt Offerings. Iced Earth is a wonderful group. Horror Show is a good album but not one of their best.

cheers....

Originally posted by Blessed Night Child
The only reason Jon feels that way is bc he was going through Hell at the time of the recording of the album. Burnt Offerings is ONE of my favorite albums by Iced Earth. I like the dark and heavy side felt on Burnt Offerings. Iced Earth is a wonderful group. Horror Show is a good album but not one of their best.

cheers....

Iced Earth are great indeed!

I think Jon also realized that his core fan base at the time weren't happy with Burnt Offerings since the sales dropped so massively, and it was only their third album in....he'll never go back into that direction I'm pretty sure.

Either way, I don't mind Burnt Offerings myself - I actually think some of the best tracks on Alive in Athens are from that album. Funny how a live environment changes things round, heh.

I have to agree with you..Burnt Offerings is their best, and you're right, Horror Show was a huge dissapointment, and a pretty weak album..

NP: Secret Sphere - The Brave