Power Transformer....Is this Normal?

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Ok i just picked up a Vht Pitbull and upon further Inspection, the transformer looked a little crooked. One side is kinda raised up a few milimetters. I tried to take some pics to show you what im talking about. Anyone else have a pitbull and is yours the same?

Vht%201.jpeg

Vht%202.jpeg

Any info would be great as I do not know much about Power Traqnsformers. Maybe this is normal and no big deal, just figured I would ask anyways.

no problem, it's just those metal thingies which are holding it to the chassis...they're bent a bit, doesn't harm the tranny, no worries.
you might wanna replace those tubes though.

congrats, nice amp.

when you're opening it to adjust the bias make sure to have a gander at the PCB, Steve is always putting little funny things on there, I had a punk taking a dump once ;)
then there are often texts dedicated to PTP-corksniffers etc.

P.S. what is it, the 50CL?

simply looks like the tranny took an impact somewhere in its life, not life its an internal damage, as you can see in the pic, the mount that screws the tranny to the chassis is bent which is casing it to be crooked. As Lasse said, doesn;t actually effect it at all, its just cosmetic.

And good eye, Lasse, I looked back at the pic and was shocked by what I saw on those tubes, get them replaced.

+1 to what Lasse and Winter Snow said... Just the mounting tabs aren't real flat. No worries...

What's wrong with the tubes? Am I missing something obvious here because I can't see anything wrong?

Looks like maybe the right one is thicker than the left? Has someone put 2 different tubes in or something?

no problem, it's just those metal thingies which are holding it to the chassis...they're bent a bit, doesn't harm the tranny, no worries.
you might wanna replace those tubes though.

congrats, nice amp.

when you're opening it to adjust the bias make sure to have a gander at the PCB, Steve is always putting little funny things on there, I had a punk taking a dump once ;)
then there are often texts dedicated to PTP-corksniffers etc.

P.S. what is it, the 50CL?

100CL

Thanks for the info!

=C= or JJ's nothing else compares IMHO. I am peraonlly a JJ guy. I tried the =C= in my 5150 and didnt like them. Personal preference really, the =C= has a more focused low end then I like and they also seemed a bit more "scooped" in the mid's for my taste. The JJ's have a nice tight and more defined lower mids then the =C= imho.