PPE 2008 Feedback

DrThrash

New Metal Member
Jul 31, 2007
Aachen, Germany
Well, I just filled out the PPE 2008 feedback form and just before submitting it, I thought: let's post feedback publically here in the forum and discuss it!

# What was your overall impression?(required)

nice people, great atmosphere, high quality of bands (especially remarkable because most bands were previously unknown to me)

# What bands did you like most (top 3)?

1. Suspyre [*]
2. Sun Caged
3. Atrox / The Aurora Project (joint third place)

[*]: although they only played their neo-classical / power-metal-ish songs; they also have a more progressive side, which they unfortunately did not show on stage. I talked to the bands afterwards and they said that they were a little bit deceived by the "Power" in the name "ProgPower". They obviously underestimated the capability of the European audience to deal with more complex progressive stuff. Well, their next European concerts will hopefully be more varied...

# Should we do 3 days again in 2009 or 2 like before?

yes [3 days]

# What should we improve in 2009?

[band selection]
More tolerance for bands with death metal growls, less tolerance for high-pitched power metal "singing".

[organization]
The sending of the email tickets and the room assignment for Kasteel de Berckt were extremely late.
Define a clear deadline for package deals on the homepage ("available until September XX, unless sold-out before")

# What bands would you like to see in 2009?

* Melechesh [NL/Israel]
* Pestilence [NL; comeback 2008, new album announced for 2009]
* Keep of Kalessin [NO]
* Into Eternity [CA]
* Necrophagist [DE]
* Spawn of Possession [SE]
* Psycroptic [AU; the result of music students playing extreme metal]
* Arsis [US]
* Skeletonwitch [US; well, not really "progressive" or overly technical, but very interesting mix of various styles including Thrash, NWOBHM, and Death Metal]
* Decrepit Birth [US; okay, this one would definitely be too extreme for PPE...]
* and of course: Alchemist [AU], the best band that ever played at PPE.

In general: the metal part of technical/progressive metal is not limited to power metal influences. There are so many excellent bands deeply rooted in death, thrash, black or other extreme styles.

I don't mind the abundance of prog rock at Prog Power, but the addition of one or two more extreme metal bands would be a nice extension of the musical spectrum. In contrast to many prog rock bands, these extreme metal bands truly explore new musical territory, and that's what progressive music is ultimately all about, isn't it?

# Other things you would to tell us.

What I like about PPE:
* long playing times for the bands
* many bands from other continents, i.e. many bands which cannot be seen in Europe otherwise

What has been improved in comparison to 2008:
* map of local sourroundings with ticket confirmation email

# What was your overall impression?(required)

It was awesome as ever and definitely improved once more even though I didn't think that you could after Jon Oliva last year. Outstanding atmosphere as ever, lots of beer, crazy afterparty, loads of fun!

# What bands did you like most (top 3)?

1. Threshold (Damian Wilson ranks up there with performers like Jon Oliva)
2. Suspyre (Ranking close behind Threshold for sure. Great guys, great music, awesome and lively performance and they obviously enjoyed and worked with the crowd (pussyfoot!))
3. Zero Hour/Pathosray/The Aurora Project (triple shared 3rd place, and I would add more but it would get too crowded up there.)

# Should we do 3 days again in 2009 or 2 like before?

yes [3 days]

# What should we improve in 2009?

This year the mix for some of the bands was off. Though most bands made up for it with enthusiasm and showmanship, it's hard for them to enjoy themselves knowing that their sound isn't optimal for the audience. I heard that Wolverine had their own sound technician with them and their sound seemed better overall than most bands. Perhaps this is something to keep in mind.

# What bands would you like to see in 2009?

* Raintime [IT]
* Malpractice [FI; never played outside their own country (according to their website) and eager to go on a european tour. Malpractice Myspace]
* Royal Hunt [DK]
* Into Eternity [CA]
* Suspyre [USA, just want to see them again :p]
* Elvenking [GR]
* Falconer [SE]
* Andromeda [SE, always wanted to see them live, never had the opportunity to]
* Soilwork [SE, they were awesome at Graspop, very impressive]
* Evergrey [SE, would make an awesome headliner, ofcourse]
* Kiuas [FI, awesome band I've stumbled across. Influences from extreme, power and folk metal]
* Sylvan [DE, prog rock like it was meant to be played]
* Skyfire [SE]

# Other things you would to tell us.

There isn't much to add. The festival is a blast. Don't change much or anything at all in the principals of the festival and keep attracting great bands!

Here's mine:

What was your overall impression?

Downright amazing. By far the best festival I've ever been to.

What bands did you like most (top 3)?

1. Zero Hour
2. Threshold
3. Pagan's Mind

Should we do 3 days again in 2009 or 2 like before?

yes (3 days)

What should we improve in 2009?

It could be wise to send out the reservations for both the festival and De Berckt a little bit earlier, so people won't be concerned.

What bands would you like to see in 2009?

- Vanden Plas (no comment needed)
- Gojira (excellent atmospheric and progressive death metal)
- Nevermore (see Vanden Plas)
- Darkane (technical thrash metal taken to the highest level)
- The Arcane Order (I can dream, can't I? probably too extreme for PP)
- Burst (it doesn't get any more progressive than this)
- Hacride (very talented young band from France)
- Benea Reach (friends of Extol with some Meshuggah-influences)
- Mind's Eye (see Vanden Plas)
- The Old Dead Tree (just a wonderful live band)

Other things you would to tell us.

Thank you very much for organising such an amazing festival. Keep up the good work!