Practice amp as 5150 dummy load?

NoSoup4you22

Keep on blorpin'
Feb 16, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.myspace.com
head output goes into speaker input. Some combo amps do have speaker input in their backs, so you can use the combo as a head, or use the speaker as a cab, but I doubt that this little thing does. Never put a head output into anything else than speaker inputs.

^Unfortunately that trick doesn't work with the 5150, was worth a shot though. I also have an old Fender Blues Deluxe with a POWER AMP IN jack... reckon that would work? Otherwise it's not too bad with a cord plugged into the 5150 FX return, just would be nice to record at 4am...

put the 5150 to standby and the fx loop out should still work just fine. silent as fuck.

There's only a small few amps that works on and the 5150 isn't one of them.

OP, the input impedance on that amp will be about 1Mohm. Do not attempt this.
I'd be fairly certain that it does not have a dedicated speaker input either, I'm not aware of any combo that does.
Power amp inputs are high impedance also, do not do this as both bits of gear will be damaged.
A load box is the right job for this. Most attenuators double as load boxes too.

If I remember the schematic right, just make sure there's something plugged into the 5150's FX Return - a patch cable with nothing plugged into it is fine. This bypasses the send-the-signal-straight-through part of the circuit, so your amp will shut up, and you can still take a signal from the FX Send. My 6505 doesn't get anywhere close to silent because of some bleeding that I can't sort out, but it's fairly quiet nonetheless.

If I remember the schematic right, just make sure there's something plugged into the 5150's FX Return - a patch cable with nothing plugged into it is fine. This bypasses the send-the-signal-straight-through part of the circuit, so your amp will shut up, and you can still take a signal from the FX Send. My 6505 doesn't get anywhere close to silent because of some bleeding that I can't sort out, but it's fairly quiet nonetheless.

Any truth to this?

Yes it works.

I just need someone to confirm it's harmless cause I had to push the master quite a bit.

Can't believe I've never thought about this.

For my 5150 i bought a big resistor at put it instead of the speaker into the speakerout and used the preamp out to record silently.

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/pr...ochlastwiderstand-8R2--8-Ohm----150-Watt.html
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/pr...2263_Kabelsatz-fuer-Lautsprecher---Combo.html

Resistor connected with the cable and then plugged the phonejack into the speakerout of the amp (instead of a Cab). It is a simple dummyload. And you are on the safe side with using it. Nothing can happen to your amp. I never tried it only with a patchcable into the fx send and unplugged the other side...to risky in my opinion.

I never tried it only with a patchcable into the fx send and unplugged the other side...to risky in my opinion.

- The Return jack has the disconnect, not the Send.

- How could it be risky? Electrically, it's the same thing as using an A/B pedal or muting a noise suppressor in the loop.