pre-re-amp??

MKS

May 24, 2005
I know this has probably been covered here 1000 times but please offer suggestions for preparing dry tracks for re-amping. I have about 35 tracks to reamp this week and I want to get the most out of them.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

prepare? just send them out to your re-amp device and make sure your not overdriving the output from your DAW

All the tracks are clean and the edits are perfect. I thought I read about some others compressing the signal before reamping. Just curious if there are any tricks that have worked well for anyone else.

All the tracks are clean and the edits are perfect. I thought I read about some others compressing the signal before reamping. Just curious if there are any tricks that have worked well for anyone else.

I don't see any reason why you would, I'd stick with just the D.I. signal as-is, just as if the guitarist were plugging in to one of your amps.

Charlie

I tried compression. Wasn't a good idea. Just made the amp noisier when there was no guitar and the guitar sound was basically the same. You can EQ the clean guitar track, which is kind of fun to experment with and gives a very different sound the EQing the audio from the amp. But this is only something to try if you're looking to fix things or to really change a sound. I think just using the as-is signal is the way to go.

I tried some funky things bevore as well - just because i was courious if i could recieve cooler results... I experimented with EQ, compression as well as some outboard tubesaturation.

The clean Guit-Track directly to the amp was the best sounding way to do it.

But it *could* be cool to use small amounts of a good eq to finetune the clean-track pre-re-amping.

brandy

make sure the amp level in is correct. once done, you can treat this signal just like the guitar out... eq, OD, compression, etc.

and what IS that level? Ive never heard a definitive answer. What is instrument level in DBs?
if you have your DAW in-out gain stagging correctly set and your DI-Reamp Box levels match, this should be very close.

I use Little Labs Redeye and loose about 0.5db reamped, so I boost the DAW outgoing Reamp signal by about that much. For tone's sake, I want the amp to see the same signal level it would have seen.

if your DAW gain stagging is correctly set, the D/A should output the same volt level the A/D saw when tracking.

if your DI out and Reamp In has basically 0db level change, you should be set.

I have the interface levels on my converters set to -10dBV

the way I test my system is I track a short clip recording the Mic and a DI. I reamp the DI and record that. then I compare the RMS levels. another way would be to run a test signal from the DAW out and back in thru your Reamp-DI box. But since I only have one Redeye box I can't do that because it's either DI or Reamp, not both at the same time.

so you don't use the mic pre to get a better level out of the DI.
but every DI box has a different loss, so i alwas thought it was better to put the signal thru the mic-pre to get a decent level and then setting the level at the reamp to match original guitarlevel....
but on the other hand that would mean increaseing volume of the signal (micpre) and then decreasing it again (reamp box)...can't be that cool...
but i think the signal has to be preamplified, going direct into the converters gives a way to quiet signal using a passive DI.

How does Andy do it?