pre-record? in protools

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
in cubase i use a feature all of the time without actually knowing it / doing anything

anytime you hit record in cubase, it records whatever was happening 2 seconds before that (or to any amount of time you set)

if i need to punch in a chug, i'll put my locator on the beat that it hits, hit record (this is punching in exactly on beat with a precount)... you get a 4, 3, 2, 1 then CHUG

now on the chug, there's going to be a pick attack that's not currently visible or even audible at this point.... you select the region and drag back the "pre-audio" that happened before the actual punch in

this is like 10 to 20 ms that gets crossfaded with whatever was before it.

this is a pretty important feature to me. without it i dont know how i'd record some difficult guitar parts without having to do all kinds of goofy pre-rolling instead of spot punching.

so my question is, does protools have a pre-record buffer?

don't have to solo it. Don't know what you mean by that.

Record enable the track, play the song, play along, punch in and out wherever. Drag the region boundaries left or right as required up to the point where playback started or stopped.

Or make a selection for the part you want to replace. Preroll of 1 bar, post roll of 1 beat and record.

Have to be in quick punch mode. 6 on number pad

don't have to solo it. Don't know what you mean by that.

Record enable the track, play the song, play along, punch in and out wherever. Drag the region boundaries left or right as required up to the point where playback started or stopped.

Or make a selection for the part you want to replace. Preroll of 1 bar, post roll of 1 beat and record.

what im talking about doing isnt playing along
in fact i wouldnt want the player to hear anything but the click, and i wouldnt want them playing anything else other than the chord / chug / note that i we're punching in for the technique im talking about here.

Joey I do the same thing as you with pre-record, LOVE that feature.

PT guys, what Joey means is that you set Cubase to do a count-off, then it starts recording on the 1 of the next measure after the count-off. When this happens you only see the waveform from the moment it was supposed to punch in, however with pre-record it actually records a user-defined amount of time before what you see. Say the recording began at the 1 of the 16th measure of music, well the waveform is cut right there but you can drag the beginning back to the 15th measure and you have 1/2/3/4/more bars of audio recorded before that. So instead of them playing along ahead of time, it just goes beep-beep-beep-beep CHUG.

AGZ has explained it great, it will work fine in PT Joey. Just might have to change your workflow a bit, it sounds like you are using in Cubase what is the equivalent of the "count off" feature in PT. Don't use that, just put the locator a bar before where you want to record, hit play so you get to hear that bar and get locked in to the tempo, and then hit record quickpunch where you want to punch in. Pro Tools records that whole bar before as well even though it wasn't set to punch there, so you can drag the region back all the way to when you first hit play.

One of the benefits of ProTools is that it also 'post records'. So if you miss jump your queue and cut off the tail end of the guitar part, you can drag the region over the end. This is one thing I've sorely missed from working in Cubase.

Given that you seem to be making about 5 threads a day about PT, maybe it's best you just go and mess with someone's PT rig for a bit? Or just compile your questions and ask a veteran PT operator in one swoop. Though honestly, whether or not these features are in PT, since you are making the switch you are stuck with the eventuality, so it's probably best to nut out your own workflow within it.

One of the benefits of ProTools is that it also 'post records'. So if you miss jump your queue and cut off the tail end of the guitar part, you can drag the region over the end. This is one thing I've sorely missed from working in Cubase.

Given that you seem to be making about 5 threads a day about PT, maybe it's best you just go and mess with someone's PT rig for a bit? Or just compile your questions and ask a veteran PT operator in one swoop. Though honestly, whether or not these features are in PT, since you are making the switch you are stuck with the eventuality, so it's probably best to nut out your own workflow within it.

yeah im actually just trying to educate my self on here, rather than going through random pages of someone arguing about it to a noob on google search or something.

so far i've really enjoyed having the community inform me about all of my questions, even when i display dismay at some of the results.

AGZ has explained it great, it will work fine in PT Joey. Just might have to change your workflow a bit, it sounds like you are using in Cubase what is the equivalent of the "count off" feature in PT. Don't use that, just put the locator a bar before where you want to record, hit play so you get to hear that bar and get locked in to the tempo, and then hit record quickpunch where you want to punch in. Pro Tools records that whole bar before as well even though it wasn't set to punch there, so you can drag the region back all the way to when you first hit play.

there's auto punch, right?

i just hit one button and the rest happens for me on cubase

i imagine that could be setup too?

Autopunch = second half of my 2nd post

Joey if you want to watch some videos to educate yourself I'll give you my login code for Groove3.com and you can spend all day watching everything.

Last edited by a moderator: