Preamp for 7B

SvenAHC

New Metal Member
Apr 20, 2012
hi,

i am looking for an good all round preamp for my 7B to record vocals(pop/punk/screams).
currently i am using the preamp on my audio interface, any suggestions?

Focusrite ISA One has 80dB of gain so should be plenty for the SM7 (though personally I find as long as the source is loud I don't need heaps of gain)

what about the great river me-1nv, i heard good stuff about it.
or the germanium pre amp?

The ISA and Great River are both great suggestions.

I had a pair of Germaniums but they're NOT versatile pres (though amazing for guitars), I ended up selling them because they almost never got used.

Love my ISA 428 on the SM7b. I hear good things about the Golden Age Pre-73 and Warm Audio WA-12, if you want a little more color (Neve clones).

You'll probably want something clean to start with. ISA or Grace m101 would definitely get the job done. I've seen a used Grace go for $275-300 if you look around enough.

I caught my grace for around 350 on ebay.

Such a great deal! The sm7b loves it!

It is pretty bare when it comes to features, but it is a very clean and powerful pre for the price.

One thing I've always been curious about is the effect different input impedance can have on microphones (Glenn seemed to notice it way back in one of his guides, I think Acoustic Drums for Metal); anyone know anything about the Cloudlifter CL-Z?

Z-Front-500px.png

Goes between the mic and preamp to change the impedance (and optionally apply an HPF and add clean gain); honestly, with all my experimentation with guitar DI's and their different impedances I can imagine that making a bigger difference than going from an interface pre to a ~$1k pre with (almost) the same input impedance - and it's definitely cheaper! :D

I did alot of research and ended up buying my ISA one at the same time as my SM7b. It's a great combo, a little too clean imo but that's nothing plug saturation can't fix.

@MarcusGHedwig

Variable impedance is such a great feature on it

the great river has a lot of versatile sounds in one unit. The 2 gain knobs give you anything from thick and warm to clean. High and Low impedance gives you options. The Loading button is actually something very unique. It's very difficult to hear what is happening sometimes. It just seems to make the mic sound more "open", hard to put in words. I can't recommend it enough. Plus built like a tank, internal power supply, amazing d.i., and a unique insert make it a winner.

Cool dude, what's your favorite setting on it?

1k4Ω (Med) for my SM7b with my voice specifically (which on paper isn't correct from what I understand, but it clears up the highs a bit better imo). It's usually that or the ISA 110 setting. I haven't really played with it while micing my amp, but I will be tonight. I'll post some clips going through the different settings if you are interested

Another vote for Isa one. Been using it for about a year now and I haven't regretted it. Boatloads of clean gain and a very nice features for a decent price. I like the DI too (better than the DI on my profire 2626, which imo sounds a bit bit more stuffy).

Got mine together with the converter card for less than the price of a standard one. No clue why; I still wonder if the store just messed up. But it's nice as it saves up an extra preamp slot on the 2626.

The lower focusrite stuff is made in china/overseas. I don't know if the built quality will be as good as some other stuff but im sure it sounds great