Preamp+Poweramp -> Interface... Nuclear explosion?

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I once plugged my triaxis (output) right to the interface with some impulses and sounded ok.
Now I wonder if it is possible to do this:

Triaxis - > Mesa 2:90 poweramp -> Interface (Daw/ impulses)

Will it explode?

I have no idea about impedances and shit like that.

If that power amp isn't connected to a load of some kind (eg cabinet, load box etc), there'll be fire, death, and untold destruction. Power amp will most certainly kick it's shit, interface will probably go straight to hell with it.

Given the sound of the 2:90 poweramps, I'm not surprised you want to capture it, but impulses already include the voicing of whatever poweramp was used to capture the sine sweep.

I am no electronics pro, but that sounds dangerous.

Maybe as an alternative you could find an impulse or have an impulse custom made of a mesa 2:90 into a cabinet. Then use your preamp into your computer interface.

+1 to what's been said. Power amp into interface = (potential) death for both.

Think about it, the power amp is outputting a signal capable of driving speakers. This signal is high-current. The input of your interface is not designed to handle such a high-current signal.

You'd probably blow up the input stage of your interface, as well as potentially killing the power amp output transformer and power section.

Check out the countryman type 85 di box, transforms high current signal to mic signal, i have one and it works!