Preamp wired for 110 V (U.S.) running in the the UK (230 V) using a transformer?

InAbsentia_

Dec 31, 2009
Will this be okay? I just got a preamp which is wired for 110 V. Can I use a step down transformer to convert the mains from 230V -> 110 V and have it run without issues?

Thanks for any help.

Be absolutely certain your transformer is rated over what the preamp will be drawing. In fact go way overboard on it.

What preamp are we talking about here? Some manufacturers are nice enough to put a transformer in that can be rewired for other countries.

Be absolutely certain your transformer is rated over what the preamp will be drawing. In fact go way overboard on it.

What preamp are we talking about here? Some manufacturers are nice enough to put a transformer in that can be rewired for other countries.

ENGL e530. I don't understand what you mean by the 'rated over' sentence by the way. I have an active step down transformer at the minute which goes from 230 to 110v. Is this not good enough?

Thanks for the replies!

By 'over-rated' I mean amperage and wattage. If you go skimpy on the transformer you could burn out your preamp and the converter.

And I'm pretty sure that the E530 can be rewired for other country use. All it takes is a wire change and some different fuses. Care to take a pic of the internals? Specifically by the transformer? I may be able to help you out.

By 'over-rated' I mean amperage and wattage. If you go skimpy on the transformer you could burn out your preamp and the converter.

And I'm pretty sure that the E530 can be rewired for other country use. All it takes is a wire change and some different fuses. Care to take a pic of the internals? Specifically by the transformer? I may be able to help you out.

Apparently you can't just use a converter to switch voltages according to this thread on ss.org: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/47260-serious-engl-e530-gas-i-need-help.html

I guess that's me returning this product and getting a refund.

Apparently you can't just use a converter to switch voltages according to this thread on ss.org: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/47260-serious-engl-e530-gas-i-need-help.html

I guess that's me returning this product and getting a refund.

Those are all just people assuming things. But bottom line is, even if you didn't want to convert it for use with your wall power, you can still happily use a step down transformer. Just do as I said, and make sure it's a beefy one. You'll be fine.

As long as the transformer can handle the wattage the preamp needs, you're fine. Looking in the E530 manual it says 16 watts max, which is not much, almost any 230-110V transformer out there can handle that load (usually they're designed for something like 200+ watts).

The frequency difference is not a problem in tube amps (60Hz USA / 50 Hz EU), and usually never is except with specific devices (perhaps switch mode power supplies and poly-phase motors).... so yeah: "Yes" was my previous answer, and still the correct one :)

As long as the transformer can handle the wattage the preamp needs, you're fine. Looking in the E530 manual it says 16 watts max, which is not much, almost any 230-110V transformer out there can handle that load (usually they're designed for something like 200+ watts).

The frequency difference is not a problem in tube amps (60Hz USA / 50 Hz EU), and usually never is except with specific devices (perhaps switch mode power supplies and poly-phase motors).... so yeah: "Yes" was my previous answer, and still the correct one :)

Thanks for your help (and you too Wolfeman!). I think I was a bit misleading when I said 'I have a transformer'. I basically have this unknown brand Chinese active transformer, which basically looks like an adaptor with a U.S. shaped plug on the back. I've used tons of stuff with it before, but I don't know how well it would handle tube pre-amp.

How much would a decent transformer set me back?

Depends on what wattage you want. Some off brand 300 watters are only like $15. Big nice beefy ones can be anywhere from $50-$300