President Bush overturns Habeas Corpus?

derek said:
The problem is not with guns but with the American mindset.

To illustrate, look at Switzerland. They're all armed to the teeth, but you don't read of gun crime daily in Swiss newspapers, do you?

Also, the U.K does not have a total ban policy. Firearms are available to adults, provided background and references check out. Although the only person I imagine having one would be a farmer.

Guns themselves never were the problem, and latching onto the eradiction of firearms as a way to solve the growing social problems is senseless. The solution lies in altering how people think.

I'd like to think aluminium bats provide a more satisfying way of protecting ones family, anyway. :)

The problem inherent with the geographical comparisons is that they do not take into account the demographics of the areas in question. In America, so-called "gun-crime or street-crime" are an overwhelmingly Urban phenomenon.
The vast majority of gun-related fatalities in America are drug, gang, street related crimes. I sincerely doubt Switzerland is possessed of many Ghettos or Barrios. Prof. John Lott investigated FBI Uniform Crime Statistics on "gun-violence" and concluded that were we to extrapolate out the Urban violence the US is every bit as safe as Norway, Tokyo or what have you. Due to the obvious racial overtones, these fact are deceitfully left out of debates of guns and crime, murder, etc.
And by the by...things are probably different where you live, however, good luck with a bat during a "home invasion" of four well armed thugs...

OldScratch said:
And by the by...things are probably different where you live, however, good luck with a bat during a "home invasion" of four well armed thugs...
I'd prefer a claymore. :headbang:

And I'd actually like to think a claymore would be more effective in protecting yourself in a "home invasion" against thugs armed with guns. It usually takes over 3 shots to really take someone out, unless you get lucky. But with a claymore, I'm thinking you only need one hit at an unarmored thug. At close range guns are also somewhat not-so-good, its quite a bit harder to aim at a very close up quick moving target, especially one that catches you by surprise.

I can't really see see 3 thugs with pistols being able to stand up to a big metalhead charging at them, screaming, with a claymore in close quarters :D. And definately can't if they were caught off guard in immediate range.

Four people with guns aren't going to give a shit how metal you are. Not to mention, it's going to be REALLY hard to defend yourself against the claim that you crossed the line from defending yourself to commiting murder when you argue with the police after you fucking chop their heads off or run a sword through their neck. If you're a white guy and your house is broken into by *insert random minority here* you're going to be even MORE fucked because they're going to have to attempt to turn it into a hate crime to appease all the local morons screaming 'racist', combine that with long hair (if you have long hair) and you're going to be REALLY fucked when they check your CD collection. It'll go from self defense, to murder, to hate crime, to racist-ritual-redneck-Satanic-slaughter.... :lol: Basically, not a good idea unless it's the only weapon you have access to, in which case the choice between your life and theirs is obvious.

Oh, and, as for using a shotgun not being metal...I submit to you:

Razor -- Shotgun Justice :p

The bottom line is, you should hope to never have to use a firearm on another human being. Any responsible gun owner will tell you that.

I wouldn't necessarily say you should hope to never have to do that. I'm sure most people can think of at least one person/type of person they would love to have a (legal) chance to use a weapon on.

The Devil's Steed said:
I wouldn't necessarily say you should hope to never have to do that. I'm sure most people can think of at least one person/type of person they would love to have a (legal) chance to use a weapon on.
People like Al Sharpton and Rosie O'Donnel come to mind. Truth be told, I would rather kick both of them in the nuts.

fah-q said:
The bottom line is, you should hope to never have to use a firearm on another human being. Any responsible gun owner will tell you that.

Indeed. I will go far out of my way to avoid conflict knowing that I carry the means to end a situation rather definitively(when I am so armed). Being well trained in the use of firearms, I am confident that if I had to use deadly force I could effectively do so...But I too sincerely hope I NEVER have a need to put that theory to the test! It is a major responsibility - I know a number of folks who carry all the time and they are all very serious and disciplined about it.

Well if you don't want to kill them, couldn't you just shoot them in the legs? That way they can't move around and the police can come and take them away?
The only reason I'd have a gun would be for self defense and only use it if need be. I don't even live in a place where crime is all that rampant, but being defenseless is not a posistion you want to find yourself in either. I like to be prepared for the worse and hope that it never happens.

I live just outside of NYC and work in lower Manhattan. I've never once witnessed a crime or have seen/experienced anything which would lead me to believe a gun is necessary.

But, then again, NYC is now one of the safest big cities in the nation. It was quite different when I was a kid....

we have two things to thank for that (in addition to other factors):
- Roe V Wade offed many of the people who might have turned to crime in the 90s
- Mayor Rudy

Silver Incubus said:
Well if you don't want to kill them, couldn't you just shoot them in the legs? That way they can't move around and the police can come and take them away?

No.

1. Shooting a leg is hard (in comparison to aiming for the torso) as it's a rather narrow target, and the difficulty at hitting small targets increases in a high adrenaline situation.

2. Assuming the person is using a weapon with some range such as a gun they will be perfectly capable of shooting you with a wounded leg.

SoundMaster said:
I live just outside of NYC and work in lower Manhattan. I've never once witnessed a crime or have seen/experienced anything which would lead me to believe a gun is necessary.

But, then again, NYC is now one of the safest big cities in the nation. It was quite different when I was a kid....

- Mayor Rudy

A gun isn't 'necessary' of course, but this doesn't mean a person shouldn't have one. Carrying a pocket knife isn't necessary either, but it's still useful to have around. Same goes for many other things.

Silver Incubus said:
The only reason I'd have a gun would be for self defense and only use it if need be. I don't even live in a place where crime is all that rampant, but being defenseless is not a posistion you want to find yourself in either. I like to be prepared for the worse and hope that it never happens.
Shooting someone in the leg is idealistic but, impracticle. While criminally you are innocent for defending yourself, a civil action can still be brought against you. It is a sad truth about the lawsuit happy US. On top of that, when you are trained to shoot, you are trained to hit the largest portion of the body. When the police are forced to use their guns, they shoot to kill. Most importantly, shooting someone in the leg is very difficult. I have been using guns since I was 5 years of age. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds out of hundreds of guns. I still am not certain as to how close a person would have to be for me to be able to shoot them in the leg. There are other reasons why I want to take the highest percentage (torso) shot too. I have to consider where the bullet is going to travel if I miss. Is this a crowded area, could the bullet ricochet, etc.
I am not anti gun-control. I am anti useless legislation. NY has strange laws surrounding pistol permits that make it difficult for the layman to educate themselves. For example, in NYS, you are not allowed to fire a pistol unless you have a pistol permit. So, if you have never fired a gun and would like to before you buy one or get a permit, you can't. Yes, you can go to a friend who has a permit and shoot on someone's private property but, how many of us have that available to us? Locally, I belong to the Genesee Conservation League. We have firing ranges but, the range master will not allow any unlicensed person to fire a gun. It isn't for everyone but, should not be taken from everyone. If you have never fired a gun, I strongly suggest you try it. Target shooting is such a great experience.

SoundMaster said:

- Mayor Rudy
I agree, Rudy did a fantastic job on NYC. I was actually hoping he or Colin Powell would run for POTUS.
I come down at least once a year to catch some Mets games. I am pretty familiar with NYC and most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I have stayed in hotels on 40th and there is a decided difference between Manhattan and other parts of the city. I am not disagreeing with you, I just think that the hours you are there and the places you spend your time might skew your outlook a bit. I have ridden the LIE out to Shea and taken the train back into the city after a night game went to extra innings. The #7 train is pretty sketchy late at night.

Just a note:
Actually self-defense is but one reason I own firearms. As an avid collector, hunter, competitive shooter, and(sometime)historical re-enactor I have a wide variety of uses for firearms, outside the belief I might be mugged, etc.

fah-q said:
I agree, Rudy did a fantastic job on NYC. I was actually hoping he or Colin Powell would run for POTUS.
I come down at least once a year to catch some Mets games. I am pretty familiar with NYC and most of my friends live in Brooklyn. I have stayed in hotels on 40th and there is a decided difference between Manhattan and other parts of the city. I am not disagreeing with you, I just think that the hours you are there and the places you spend your time might skew your outlook a bit. I have ridden the LIE out to Shea and taken the train back into the city after a night game went to extra innings. The #7 train is pretty sketchy late at night.

My in-laws live in one of the less-attractive area of Queens (jamaica), so I've done a lot of the 7, E, and F trains late at night. It can get ugly, for sure. But again, I've seen little to crime in person, which is a far cry for my childhood when it was Dodge City in many parts of Manhattan as well as in any (ALL) of the buroughs.

I cannot understand why Americans want to keep their "pistol permit" so badly. It's a dead given that in a country in which everyone aged 16 and above can get rights to hold a gun easily, more kills will happen. There will be unstable people, and there will be people with criminal intents. In a country in which a criminal actually needs to find a gun illegally, the chance of him actually turning to crime would be significantly smaller. After all, the criminal would have to first aquire a gun to be able to use it and perform a criminal act.

In the US, on the other hand, you can simply go into a gun store and say "I want a gun". After three days or so, you'll hold it in your hand, along with a permit.
Most people want to keep their guns "to protect themselves". But how much protection do the guns in reality offer, as they will be used more for "bad stuff" than protection? (How many times have you heard of someone protecting themselves successfully with said gun, compared to how many times guns have been illegally fired and/or killed random people?)

I remember a story about a Norwegian visiting the US. He got mugged and threatened with a gun (of course, he got beat repeatedly by the man with the gun during the mugging). He then ran to a house and cried for help, banging at the door and ringing the doorbell.

What did the man inside the house do? He shot the man outside the door with his gun, because "the noise made by the man on the door seemed threatening", and the guy with the gun felt like enforcing his right to protect himself.
This man had just been mugged and beat into a bloody mess. Now he got gunned down because he desperately seeked help.

Of course, you can get guns in Norway as well. Unless you're a police officer (who even need special permits to even wear their guns during raids), you have to pass a hunting test, undergo firearm training and get thoroughly checked out before even aquiring said gun. If you have a history of violence, the chances of you aquiring a gun are very low.
This permit won't grant you the right to walk around with a .45 cal. though. It grants you the rights to wear a weapon designed for hunting. So, you can get a shotgun, a rifle or something of the likes, but you can't buy an AK47 (just an example), because it is obviously not used for hunting.

Would you feel safer in a country in which everyone had guns, including yourself (and every single weird person you've ever met on the streets), or would you feel safer in a country in which guns are as rare as white elephants?

Compare the killrate of USA to the killrate of Canada or Norway. True, USA holds more inhabitants, but compare the "people ratio" to the "kill ratio".
Most crimes in Norway are committed by immigrants (even though they can easily get work and welfare), when comparing the amount of people to the amount of criminal acts (5 mill Norwegians commit 3/5 of the criminal acts, while a few hundred thousand immigrants commit 2/5.) This kind of shows how Norwegians aren't "used to" say, finding a gun and shooting people, because a gun is used for hunting, not for personal protection.
When guns all of a sudden get "normal", and you can buy an AG-3 for your own personal protection, people will have a more "laid-back" attitude towards said guns.

Basically, most people aren't suited/fit to enforce their own rights/lives with serious means, because most people won't be responsible enough to even hold a gun. In a country with hundreds of millions of people (and a state like Texas, to make a nice, generalizing assumption), gun-enforced protection seems to be the least favourable kind of protection, as gun-and-Captain America-loving patriots will shoot any stranger man knocking on the door, because he is invading their personal property, disturbing their peace and interfering in an aggressive way. It's their right to shoot him, as he might be dangerous.

There is a huge reason why New York is tenfolds more dangerous than Oslo. Everyone can get guns (i.e. easily conceiled firearms), so crime can be committed more easily. The chances of a stranger getting robbed on the streets would be sufficiently smaller if the mugger only had the choice of using a shotgun or a big rifle, after being thoroughly examined and checked for any criminal behaviour, compared to a man getting a Glock with 2-3 clips of ammo after waiting for his permit for a couple of days and buying his gun at the local gun-store.

Let me start by apologizing for the "wordiness" of the response to follow. . . I cannot understand why Americans want to keep their "pistol permit" so badly. It's a dead given that in a country in which everyone aged 16 and above can get rights to hold a gun easily, more kills will happen. That is absolutely untrue. In Chicago, the year after handguns were outlawed. Chicago became the murder capital of the US. There will be unstable people, and there will be people with criminal intents. In a country in which a criminal actually needs to find a gun illegally, the chance of him actually turning to crime would be significantly smaller. After all, the criminal would have to first aquire a gun to be able to use it and perform a criminal act. I can obtain an firearm illegally one hell of a lot faster than I can get one legally.

In the US, on the other hand, you can simply go into a gun store and say "I want a gun". After three days or so, you'll hold it in your hand, along with a permit. Another misconception on your part. It took me a full 7 months to get my pistol permit. Each and every time I want to buy another pistol. I must submit paperwork to the County Clerk. If it has been more than 18 months since my last background check, they perform another one. It is not as easy as you would think.
Most people want to keep their guns "to protect themselves". But how much protection do the guns in reality offer, as they will be used more for "bad stuff" than protection? (How many times have you heard of someone protecting themselves successfully with said gun, compared to how many times guns have been illegally fired and/or killed random people?)I could turn this post into a novel listing instances where guns have succesfully defended their legal owner. The amount of guns used illegally are overwhelmingly illegal guns. If you own a gun illegally, a gun ban will have no affect on you.

I remember a story about a Norwegian visiting the US. He got mugged and threatened with a gun (of course, he got beat repeatedly by the man with the gun during the mugging). He then ran to a house and cried for help, banging at the door and ringing the doorbell. Did the homeowner know the guy was Norwegian?

What did the man inside the house do? He shot the man outside the door with his gun, because "the noise made by the man on the door seemed threatening", and the guy with the gun felt like enforcing his right to protect himself. If true, this is the exception, not the rule. I would be interested in reading this.
This man had just been mugged and beat into a bloody mess. Now he got gunned down because he desperately seeked help.

Of course, you can get guns in Norway as well. Unless you're a police officer (who even need special permits to even wear their guns during raids), you have to pass a hunting test, undergo firearm training and get thoroughly checked out before even aquiring said gun. If you have a history of violence, the chances of you aquiring a gun are very low. Before you are given a license to hunt in New York, you must undergo a 6 hour Hunters Safety Course. Also, as I stated above, background checks are standard before buying a concealed weapon.
This permit won't grant you the right to walk around with a .45 cal. though. It grants you the rights to wear a weapon designed for hunting. So, you can get a shotgun, a rifle or something of the likes, but you can't buy an AK47 (just an example), because it is obviously not used for hunting.

Would you feel safer in a country in which everyone had guns, including yourself (and every single weird person you've ever met on the streets), or would you feel safer in a country in which guns are as rare as white elephants?I would and I do. Criminals are much less likely to invade your home or rob you if they think you may have a gun. That is a proven fact.

Compare the killrate of USA to the killrate of Canada or Norway. True, USA holds more inhabitants, but compare the "people ratio" to the "kill ratio".
Most crimes in Norway are committed by immigrants (even though they can easily get work and welfare), when comparing the amount of people to the amount of criminal acts (5 mill Norwegians commit 3/5 of the criminal acts, while a few hundred thousand immigrants commit 2/5.) This kind of shows how Norwegians aren't "used to" say, finding a gun and shooting people, because a gun is used for hunting, not for personal protection.
When guns all of a sudden get "normal", and you can buy an AG-3 for your own personal protection, people will have a more "laid-back" attitude towards said guns. Are you trying to say that Canada has less gun violence per-capita than the US? I would be interested in seeing these statistics. I would bet my paycheck that the gun statistics include illegal firearms.

Basically, most people aren't suited/fit to enforce their own rights/lives with serious means, because most people won't be responsible enough to even hold a gun. In a country with hundreds of millions of people (and a state like Texas, to make a nice, generalizing assumption), gun-enforced protection seems to be the least favourable kind of protection, as gun-and-Captain America-loving patriots will shoot any stranger man knocking on the door, because he is invading their personal property, disturbing their peace and interfering in an aggressive way. It's their right to shoot him, as he might be dangerous. You have never been a victim of violence. I have often said that Liberals are just Republicans who have never been robbed. If you aren't going to protect yourself, who will? You want the gov't to do everything for you?

There is a huge reason why New York is tenfolds more dangerous than Oslo. Everyone can get guns (i.e. easily conceiled firearms), so crime can be committed more easily. The chances of a stranger getting robbed on the streets would be sufficiently smaller if the mugger only had the choice of using a shotgun or a big rifle, after being thoroughly examined and checked for any criminal behaviour, compared to a man getting a Glock with 2-3 clips of ammo after waiting for his permit for a couple of days and buying his gun at the local gun-store.You seem to have this delusion that if guns are outlawed, criminals will abide by this law. Making small arms illegal does not mean people will suddenly not have the means to get them. You are also making the mistake of trying to legislate the object and not the behavior. PEOPLE kill people. Guns are just the tool they use to do it. Blaming a gun for someone dying is like a fat person blaming a spoon for getting them fat. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Thank you