Primordial - To The Nameless Dead

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
Metal Blade Records - SPV CD 085 - November 16, 2007
By George Grant

pri.jpg

“If we can’t find the ‘soul’ of a work of art expressed in its body, informing and giving life to every limb, then we may be pretty sure it is not worth looking for.’ These words from Robin Wood, a famous Alfred Hitchcock critic, remind us that art should be more than skin deep. As Mr. Wood found through Hitchcock’s films, I too have found in Primordial’s newest release To the Nameless Dead.

What separates Primordial from their contemporaries is their knowledge in composition. The band pays special attention to the flow of ideas through songs and the development of themes. They take their time in presenting an idea and build upon those ideas to reflect the themes. The beginning of ‘Gallows Hymn’ is a simplistic phrase that is repeated over and over. Through this an emotional depth is added not only in the music but also as singer Nemtheanga pours out the lyrics. At the end of the piece, as Nemtheanga reaches his climatic revelation: ‘I am a heathen searching for his soul,’ the music as well reaches this climax finally revealing the full potential of the initial theme. Many times throughout the album Nemtheanga’s vocals will help in bringing the emotional weight through his soaring cleans and grim vocals.

Further evidence can be heard in what I believe to be the strongest track on the album, ‘As Rome Burns.’ Early into the track the band sets the blueprint through the chorus with the guitar building to tension and then releasing only to build again. Yet, nearing the completion of the track the band leaves the listener on an emotional plateau. Instead of offering a quick resolution the band plays with the expectations which set up the dramatic ending. Although the musical theme has finished the feeling has not been resolved and slowly Nemtheanga begins his chants backed by tribal drums. As the volume increases so does the tension and in true Primordial fashion the climax pays off this build-up in spades.

Now, this style of songwriting can make it difficult on first listen. Such was the case with To the Nameless Dead on my first listens; however, as more time is given to the music these details become apparent. Also, with the degree of maturity in Primordial’s songwriting they transcend the confinements of their black metal foundation save for the blasting rhythms of ‘Traitors Gate.’

The production employed on the album is another reason why Primordial stands above the fray. Instead of a cheap, thin and plastic sound To the Nameless Dead has a warm and natural sound to compliment the music. The drums especially benefit in the sense that they sound like real drums, and not some cheap computerized sound sample.

Overall, Primordial has created one of the best albums of the year. Their skill in composition, although tough to grasp at first, is one of the best in the game. The flow of ideas expressed in To the Nameless Dead makes it the exciting listen that it is, and it ensures enjoyable repeated listens for years to come.

Official Primordial Website
Official Metal Blade Records Website

"No Nation On This Earth" by itself would justify the purchase of this album. This is the first I've heard of Primordial and they are a really passionate bunch with a unique sound.:headbang:

Yeah, this was my album of the year as well. Nemthangga has to be one of the most passionate vocalists working today. And the guitars, man those guitars. Excellent review.

its barely even the 2nd month of the year. there's still a ton of albums coming. including new Opeth, Enslaved and Messhugah...not to mention Martriden...(shameless plug )

..oh was it? lol. must've been late December I just got it a couple weeks ago. ....and Terrorizer JUST put reviewed it.

I just picked this up recently and, although I haven't had the chance to fully digest it yet, I can safely say that this album kicks ass. Another great album from a great band.

Amazing album.

I like TGW slightly more though.

If there's ever been a band that deserved to make it big, it's Primordial.

Can't wait for their next one!

To break the cycle of gushing praise: MASSIVELY OVERRATED.

To the Nameless Dead sounds exactly the same as their previous three albums. All have the same weaknesses: they open with an amazing first track (c.f. "The Golden Spiral" and "Gods to the Godless") then meander through the rest of the album aimlessly. They usually manage to squeeze out one other good track around number 7 ("The Coffin Ships", "Traitors Gate").

The riffs are very same-ish and repetitive - which is fine when it's a killer riff like the aforementioned tracks, but Primordial quickly go from phenomenal to mediocre when the theme riff is slightly sub-par. Nemtheanga has a great voice, but it sounds like they are too lazy to write a decent vocal melody. Again, the opening track shows promise because he actually sings a chorus, but after that, every song he uses the same intonation, ranting like a deranged pirate.

Finally, this is supposed to be war music! The drums should be thunderous, but instead sound like they are slapping a wet piece of lettuce on a cardboard box.

My view is: put together the best tracks from their last three albums, and you'd have one killer album. As it is, you have wasted potential.

Brilliant band, brilliant album and best of all I get to see them play in Germany at the Ragnarok fest this year.