Pro production and input

comraderose

New Metal Member
Jul 20, 2014
Hey all im very new to this and iv been scouring the internet for a few days. There are a few still very basic things I havent been able to figure out yet. So any help is appreciated.
Setup:
Presonus Audiobox
SM57
5150 II(maxon OD in fornt)
PC:
I-5 4670
8gb ram
Reaper DAW
Studio one DAW

Simple questions:
As soon as turn the amp on even without opening the DAW I get the playback through my monitors. Should i worry about pre producing that sound or the monitored sound I get from the DAW? And why are they two difference sounds?

How much of the guitar tone comes from pre production and then from mixing? And should I be pleased with my tone before even hitting the record button?

I see all these awesome amp packs online but they are only for people who are plugging directly into the interface? And should i worry about it since I can mic a distorted tone already?

A friend of mine did this a few years ago on a PC a lot less powerful then mine but nearly the exact same set up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIB8xJPD3o
Id be happy with a tone like this

mixer.png

do yourself a favor and buy a 421 or an I5 to go with the 57. and a tubescreamer or sd-1 to go in front of the amp. other than that it takes a while to get an ear for what an ideal unprocessed tone should sound like. imo, mic where the high end sounds the smoothest as the low end of the tone is more forgiving when you go to start dipping out frequencies.