Pro Tools HD Newbie, got 2 problems

MetalWorks

Apr 19, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.myspace.com
I just started using PT HD 6.9.1 for the very first time.

I got my whole system setup.

I recorded a guitar track.

Now I am just trying to do basic editing.

First Problem, Fades:

I highlight a section of the audio where I want to fade out.

I select Edit, Fade and all of the options are greyed out. I cant do a single fade because I cant even select one.

Second Problem, Gain or Effects:

I highlight a section of the audio and go to Audiosuite, Other and Gain. Then I try to turn a section down -10db and hit process. It does nothing.

No sound level changes and the wave is visibly the same.

Same thing if I try Audiosuite and select any type of effect.

It doesnt do anything even though it would seemed to have processed.

If I go to Edit, Silence, it works just fine.

If I insert an effect it works just fine.

I just cant seem to do any editing other than punching in over the track or silencing.

The track isnt locked or anything.

Any ideas?

it's because you are not selecting any complete regions.... you need to separate the region at your selection first. on Macs it's Apple+E or, in Keyboard Focus mode, simply the letter B.

for the fade issue, why don't you just use the multi-tool, grab the upper corner (cursor turns into little "squarte" icon for Fade) and drag?

it's because you are not selecting any complete regions.... you need to separate the region at your selection first. on Macs it's Apple+E or, in Keyboard Focus mode, simply the letter B.

for the fade issue, why don't you just use the multi-tool, grab the upper corner (cursor turns into little "squarte" icon for Fade) and drag?

what he said.
although oddly enough, ive found that when you use the short cuts for fades, they seem to render faster.

I'll see if I can figure that out.

Another question if I might ask....

I noticed on the transport when I click record and then click play it has a 4-5 second delay before it starts.

I then had to select Quick Punch to be able to punch anything in.

I am fine with that.

But is there any setting that allows you to start recording without any delay at all.

It seems like the only way to get going right away is to have Quickpunch on, push play, then hit record.

I know these are basic questions but coming from Nuendo where everything seemed extremely strait forward I am running into little hangups here and there.

So far during the cross over I have only ran into these problems in basic operation.

press 3 on the numerical keypad, and also make sure you dont have any plugins on the channel your're recording.

Sorry I might be reading this wrong. On Pro Tools HD, If you have plug ins on the inserts of your channels, it will record thru the plug ins Destructivly, not just monitoring?

no it will just monitor it.
the delay in recording is the delay compensation figuring out where everything should be

Alright.

So I tryed create region and separate region.

I was then able to do fades.

But I still cant apply anything under the audiosuite.

Tryed effects but mainly want the gain feature so I can adjust levels.

It processes but doesnt nothing.

After doing these "extra" steps for a simple task I dont understand how it can be so complicated.

Unless something else is setup wrong.

Any other program and you would either be able to use the grab tool to select the entire track or the highlight tool to select a portion of the audio file and then go to Auidosuite, Other, Gain and your done.

My buddy at work says he has PT LE 7 and had 6.9 in the past and never had to mess with regions in order to edit anything. He just selected the track and clicked on whatever fade, effect, or other editing feature he wanted and it did it.

Which is exactly what any other recording program generally does.

Another tip I just received but wont be able to try until later....

"Make sure that at the top of the audiosuite plug-in, you have selected "use in playlist" - If this is not selected Pro Tools will just add the processed audio file to the region list on the right side of the screen."

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I've got a band to record this weekend and if I cant do the simplest of audio editing in Pro Tools by then I will have to cancel.

I just ordered PT 7.3.

I hope they have better features in that one. :ill:

yeah you do have to use it in playlist, or it will just end up in the region list... good luck finding anyhting in there after an intense session.lol
was the 2 bar count in button on? what is flashing?

you are right.. it isn't that hard... you are doing multiple things wrong.... first and foremost you are trying to work, clearly, without having read the basics in the manual..... do that now before you take one more step, it's simply silly not to. if you have read it... read it again, but pay attention this time, ;) there are things in the quickstart guide that if you don't know you will make a bad error or 3 sooner than later and wish you had just sat down and done some reading.

with your audiosuite problem, you may have have a corrupt installation or something. i've never had that happen to me, but it's possible i suppose.

regarding the 4-5 second delay you have mentioned... open your Transport window (Command + 1 on Mac) and make sure the Midi Controls are showing on it.... if they are not, or you are not sure, go to View>Transport>Midi Controls... and make sure Midi Controls is checked. ok, now look at your Transport bar/window.... do you see the button that says "2 bars"?... is it selected (indicated by being colored in blue)?
if it is... well there's youre delay. De-select it.

that's your last freebie buddy... lol... READ YOUR MANUAL DUDER... download the fucker if you don't have it. is this forum really meant to be "Pro Tools 101 for people who can't be bothered to read their manual"?
reaaaaaaad... you can do it.

:kickass:

you are right.. it isn't that hard... you are doing multiple things wrong.... first and foremost you are trying to work, clearly, without having read the basics in the manual..... do that now before you take one more step, it's simply silly not to. if you have read it... read it again, but pay attention this time, ;) there are things in the quickstart guide that if you don't know you will make a bad error or 3 sooner than later and wish you had just sat down and done some reading.

with your audiosuite problem, you may have have a corrupt installation or something. i've never had that happen to me, but it's possible i suppose.

regarding the 4-5 second delay you have mentioned... open your Transport window (Command + 1 on Mac) and make sure the Midi Controls are showing on it.... if they are not, or you are not sure, go to View>Transport>Midi Controls... and make sure Midi Controls is checked. ok, now look at your Transport bar/window.... do you see the button that says "2 bars"?... is it selected (indicated by being colored in blue)?
if it is... well there's youre delay. De-select it.

that's your last freebie buddy... lol... READ YOUR MANUAL DUDER... download the fucker if you don't have it. is this forum really meant to be "Pro Tools 101 for people who can't be bothered to read their manual"?
reaaaaaaad... you can do it.

:kickass:

cheers james, you explained the two bar count in better than i could

I guess I do deserve the lecturing.....

I did buy the Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware book and tryed browsing through that but it didnt get my problem solved. And everyone I talked to about the Audiosuite problem just thought that was weird and never had that problem.

Perhaps it was an install issue as James mentioned.

It was a fresh install that the previous owner setup so maybe he even set some things oddly.

But I did select the "use in playlist" and bam, problem solved.

And you guys got me squared away on the fades. I realize now it only can be used on the beginning and ends and to use it on breaks and pauses etc, I need to separate the region then do the fade.

I will bust out the quick start guide to see if theres any little things I might need to know :p

After that I got a shit load of the other functions to learn.

But at least now I will be able to do the recording this weekend.

Thanks guys. :headbang:

I installed Pro Tools 7.3.1 this morning.

I was told I would lose all my plugins from 6.9.1.......

I was expecting to lose my T-Racks Analog Modeled Mastering Suite, Amplitube and PSP Vintage Warmer which all came pre-installed on my G4 when I bought it.

But they stayed and work! :headbang:

I also got MCDSP Analog Channel and Metric Halo Channel Strip TDM both at half price off of Gearslutz.

So Im pretty excited to get going on Pro Tools 7! :Smokin: