pro tools LE and ram

Genius Gone Insane said:
I got 2 gigs of Ram. I ran PTLE 5.3.1 on XP for the longest time and it ran perfect. I just updated to 6.4 so I could run newer plugins. Man the performance sucks now. Anyone else have this experience?
Yeah, there are certainly improvements but the 6.x series hogs resources more. That said, I've found 2 gigs to be plenty as long as you aren't running DKFH superior or some other insane sampler.

egan. said:
Yeah, there are certainly improvements but the 6.x series hogs resources more. That said, I've found 2 gigs to be plenty as long as you aren't running DKFH superior or some other insane sampler.

I read on the digidesign forum someone saying that PTLE 5.3.1 was the best program for raw tracking period. I miss it, it worked so fricken well. Just that little bit of latency I get while zooming in and out on 6.4 is such a bugger. It's like having a girlfriend put on 20 pounds.

Genius Gone Insane said:
I read on the digidesign forum someone saying that PTLE 5.3.1 was the best program for raw tracking period. I miss it, it worked so fricken well. Just that little bit of latency I get while zooming in and out on 6.4 is such a bugger. It's like having a girlfriend put on 20 pounds.
hmm im using 6.7 maybe i should go back a few?

All the major studios in the Vancouver, BC area that I've been to and talked to people who worked at them still run Pro Tools 5.x. Same with the Post Production studios. I like 6.2 best myself, moreso than 6.4+.

unsilpauly said:
all the major studios running 5.x? i doubt it.

Here they are it seems. I've been to the main studios, Warehouse Studio (Metallica, Slayer, Rush, NIN, Primal Fear just mixed new album there, among others) and Armoury (DTB, SYL, Van Halen, AC/DC, Fear Factory etc.), Greenhouse (SYL, Nickelback, DOA etc.) , and they still run 5 on all their stations.

And one the biggest post houses here, Post Modern Sound (LOTR ADR, Police Academy, Andromeda, Highlander etc.) only runs 5 as well and I saw a couple computers on Nuendo but I think they were the engineer's personal laptops. I got to watch some screening there too and they were running everything in 5.x. But then again they still use Post Conform which was discontinued with 6.x in favour of OMF.

I have friends who are techs who work in pretty much all the bigger studios in the city the run ProTools (a few use Cubase/Nuendo) and they said really the only people that run 6.x in this city seem to be mostly home studios. Not to say the rest of the industry is this way, but I'd imagine more are on 5.x than most people think.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
And why is that, have you got any idea or asked ? Because of this "Post Conform" feature (don't know what it is) ?

Well I think part of the reason is I think they're still on G4's on OS9, and some plugins they use a lot they'd have to pay for upgrades. That and you can't deny that 5.x is faster than 6.x. Most of the people there mix on an analog console and still track to tape or iZ RADAR (which is very popular here since the company is local) and use outboard gear, so newer version of ProTools probably isn't worth the money spent for them.

Post Conform is really only used in Post Production (film) and Digidesign doesn't make it anymore and the version is only compatible with OS 9. It has something to dow ith audio recorded on tapes like DAT or DA88, I'm not 100% sure what it does though, I've only seen it used once. They were planning on adding it in version 6 as a part of ProTools but didn't and theres still a bunch of people on DA88s and DAT in the post world, especially doing international mixes.

man i hate pc more and more each day. so i restart my computer today. i have installed no programs or done anything out of the ordinary and when i go to boot up instead of bios screen or anything at all all i get is a bunch of colored lines flying all over the place... anyone have any idea what that may be? it wont start as many times as i try i just get those flying lines of colors and confusion and no its not the monitor. i may be screwed.