Pro Tools + Macbook Pro, nothing but trouble

uhhehhahh

Jan 18, 2010
I have tried to install my Pro Tool LE 8 System on my MacBook Pro (2010, i5, 4 g RAM), but it works, not good at all.

My problem is that it takes forever to load or open a session, most often, I get the spinning color ball, and it just freezes up.

Today, I did a reinstallation, of the software, it is originally version Pro Tools LE 8, and i heard it was not working with Snow Leopard which i now have installed. So on top of my regular installation, I added the 8.0.4 patch update.

But no difference, it still does not work properly.

Any one have any suggestions what to do?

have you double checked that the version of ProTools is verified to work with your version of the OS ?

I had loads of problems, and ended up ditching ProTools for the mac because of the problems I had.

What interface are you using ?
What version of OSx are you using?
are you running sessions with lots of soft synths?

make sure to disable spotlight. It worked great for me. It can use up a lot of memory and that can lead to pretty much anything. just saying...

@Trevoire520, Ok, will try that as well

@Noodles, Yeah, I just updated Pro Tools LE 8, to Pro tools LE 8.0.4 that is suppose to work with Snow Leopard. Now that is really bad it did not work out for you. I hope i don´t have to go that far.

@greyskull, I am using Mbox2, Snow Leopard, no soft synths, I just tried to open a new blank session.

@GMFx, yeah, it might be some kind of a memory problem, because the colored ball appears, and if I wait long enough, it will usually open, but it should not take 20 min or more, to open up a blank session. Then something else is wrong.

Something's wrong, I have PTLE on the same exact same Mac Pro and it's working fine. I agree about posting on the DUC, and you can also search in the Knowledgebase at protools.com.

First lets make sure you have Pro Tools installed correctly.
Sorry, this will take all day.

disconnect pro tools interface
Uninstall PT8.0
Download and install Apple 10.6.4 combo update
Repair disk permissions with disk utility
Download and install PT 8.0.3 (full version)
Download and install PT 8.0.4 (update)
Download and install PT 8.0.4cs2 update
Install latest Quicktime and PACE applications.
Repair disk permissions with disk utility
Don't have the interface connected when installing or uninstalling unless the installer tells you to connect it at some point.

Trashing prefs is standard troubleshooting procedure with Pro Tools.

Great, now it seems to work!

Thanks guys

btw, how do i disable spotlight?

@AEL89 and greyskull. How often do you delete the database and pref folder? When using Pro Tools and database helper, do you delete all of the available folders, p lists, preferences or just a few?

@AudioGeekzone, thnx, this is good to know, if I stumble upon some problems again, I will go through your checklist!