pro tools mix session madness

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
alright so im about to put my system to the test

i have 6 songs due monday morning

i am in the process of currently stemming everything out

i've already imported a song into pro tools and everything went well, ran tons of plugins, no immediate problems (except that one of my plugins crashes my sessions, but the plugin isnt that important)

im doing this so i dont have to commit to vocal processing because if i tried to run all of the plugins in real time on my system, it wouldnt work

although my pro tools rig seems to handle it just fine...

so whats some quick mixing tips? i learned a sweet one the other day, allows you to copy one plugin to all selected tracks its shift + option + choose plugin

then you can make a mix group and say that all plugin settings for plugin on every channel in the group will match each other when you make a change

very useful for in-the-box vocal compression across every vocal track

hi joey, heres a few......

Optn-click on applicable item Toggle item and set all others to same new state (Applicable items: Tracks in Track List - Group enables/activation - Automation Enable window - Memory Location parameters)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep05/articles/keypoints.htm

http://www.keyxl.com/aaac31a/263/DigiDesign-ProTools-7-keyboard-shortcuts.htm

http://3penguinsdesign.com/samples/Top_20_Pro_Tools_Shortcuts.pdf

http://emusician.com/tutorials/ai/mixing_pro_tools/

you probably know most of em already though!!

a good one I like is the command-option H. Basically it allows you to apply volume,pan,mute data from tracks to a send on the same channel. If you running drum parallel compression off of sends, you can in one button have an identical mix going to a buss or busses.

ever want to compare different sounds or plugins on the same track? Try this.

Duplicate the track, process each one differently, then select a section of audio on both tracks. Mute one of them. Now if you push shift "m" you can toggle between the two tracks within the mix.

I could list a ton of stuff, but as someone said, get an all access pass to groove 3. Kenny's PT videos have so much cool stuff in them, especially if youu are super familiar with PT.

a good one I like is the command-option H. Basically it allows you to apply volume,pan,mute data from tracks to a send on the same channel. If you running drum parallel compression off of sends, you can in one button have an identical mix going to a buss or busses.

ever want to compare different sounds or plugins on the same track? Try this.

Duplicate the track, process each one differently, then select a section of audio on both tracks. Mute one of them. Now if you push shift "m" you can toggle between the two tracks within the mix.

I could list a ton of stuff, but as someone said, get an all access pass to groove 3. Kenny's PT videos have so much cool stuff in them, especially if youu are super familiar with PT.
didnt know you had to hit return then command A in order to bounce (because it bounces based on selection)

everyone says read the fucking manual, but the fucking manual is about 2000 pages

didnt know you had to hit return then command A in order to bounce (because it bounces based on selection)

everyone says read the fucking manual, but the fucking manual is about 2000 pages

Yeah put the manual by the shitter and read it there. You'll be through it in a week.

The other thing to watch when bouncing is that you're bouncing the right outputs. I don't know how many times I still on occasion accidently bounce total silence cause I've selected the wrong outputs lol.

Yeah put the manual by the shitter and read it there. You'll be through it in a week.

The other thing to watch when bouncing is that you're bouncing the right outputs. I don't know how many times I still on occasion accidently bounce total silence cause I've selected the wrong outputs lol.

Happened to me and a buddy one time...we kept bouncing and wondering why the drums would never show up...after about 5 times im like hm lets check what were actually bouncing...problem solved lol

instead of bouncing you should record to a new track.
instead of having your tracks output to your main 1-2 output, set them all to a bus (i use bus 127-128 and have it renamed "mix"). Make a new stereo track with that as your input. Then all you have to do is use Input Monitoring on that track while you're mixing... then just record it when you're done. that way you can easily flip between new and old mixes, make changes while you bounce, and you can also punch in on the mix if you just need to make a quick change.
then cmd+shift+k to export it.

instead of bouncing you should record to a new track.
instead of having your tracks output to your main 1-2 output, set them all to a bus (i use bus 127-128 and have it renamed "mix"). Make a new stereo track with that as your input. Then all you have to do is use Input Monitoring on that track while you're mixing... then just record it when you're done. that way you can easily flip between new and old mixes, make changes while you bounce, and you can also punch in on the mix if you just need to make a quick change.
then cmd+shift+k to export it.

Yeah absolutely you can do it that way. It's actually easier, only reason I don't is cause I need all the busses for all my routing in pt LE whenever I mix ITB:loco:

So are you going to be switching to doing everything in PT? Or just mixing in it?

well so far i've mixed three songs on the new i am abomination record coming out this spring on pro tools

the rest had to be done in cubase

starting today i begin tracking in pro tools

i have absolutely no clue wtf im doing... haha

I tracked in Pro Tools for the first time last month. It was for the most part the same as using Cubase. However, when experimenting with EQ and whatnot and putting in plugins, it got really old really fast not having auto delay compensation for some things.

I tracked in Pro Tools for the first time last month. It was for the most part the same as using Cubase. However, when experimenting with EQ and whatnot and putting in plugins, it got really old really fast not having auto delay compensation for some things.

joey doesn't have to worry about that

the thing that really sucks in PT compared to tracking in Cubase is that you can't overlap items on a track, because if you do, the one below gets deleted. But the playlist feature is pretty convenient. (note: this is how it is atleast in 7.x, I haven't used hd version of pt8, as I read it finally has the comping feature that has been on cubase as "lanes" for like... 6 years?)