pro tools mix session madness

the thing that really sucks in PT compared to tracking in Cubase is that you can't overlap items on a track, because if you do, the one below gets deleted. But the playlist feature is pretty convenient. (note: this is how it is atleast in 7.x, I haven't used hd version of pt8, as I read it finally has the comping feature that has been on cubase as "lanes" for like... 6 years?)

I don't think they get deleted, it just trims the region. If you get the trimmer tool out and drag the end of the region out the wave is still there.

I don't think they get deleted, it just trims the region. If you get the trimmer tool out and drag the end of the region out the wave is still there.

yeah and it's still in the region list. If you record the exact same region length, you can right click and it'll show you all the possible "replacement" regions....

I'm curious to hear how things go joey, so please let us know when you're in a few days....

ever want to compare different sounds or plugins on the same track? Try this.

Duplicate the track, process each one differently, then select a section of audio on both tracks. Mute one of them. Now if you push shift "m" you can toggle between the two tracks within the mix.

instead of bouncing you should record to a new track.
instead of having your tracks output to your main 1-2 output, set them all to a bus (i use bus 127-128 and have it renamed "mix"). Make a new stereo track with that as your input. Then all you have to do is use Input Monitoring on that track while you're mixing... then just record it when you're done. that way you can easily flip between new and old mixes, make changes while you bounce, and you can also punch in on the mix if you just need to make a quick change.
then cmd+shift+k to export it.

two good tricks i haven't tried.

too bad PT LE only has 32 busses. I rarely have any open ones by the time im done with a session