Pro tools power hog?

bodom578

Jul 31, 2005
What's up guys, brand new pro tools user. Like it overall but there's something that's concerning me...

So I do alot of composing with the EWQL libraries, being a former reaper user, I never had a problem with running as many tracks as I wanted to...the only problem with reaper is it won't export properly...sound drops out, static like sounds, etc. so when my girlfriend surprised me with protools on my birthday I was pretty excited because I figured my compositions could finally be exported correctly...so I loaded up a really basic score with just piano and strings, exported perfectly! And then today I loaded up a decent sized score (11 instruments) pro tools couldn't even begin to handle playing the song...I could only get it to play through with 3 instruments, anything beyond that it just stops...

Does pro tools really take up that much power? Or is there a setting or something I just don't know to hit...thanks in advance...

Which version of PT are you running?

Not that it really matters which version, because PT in general is terrible at disk streaming/memory management/overall efficiency.

I'd have to ask 1000 other questions to figure out why it's doing it, but basic ones are:

1- What's your system specs

2- What version of PT

3- Are you streaming the samples off another drive other then your system drive.

4- What speed/format is the drive

5- What's your playback engine settings.

What are your playback engine settings? Computer? Processor? Ram? OS? Hard drive? Size? Speed?

More info would help....

edit HA! ^^^ must have been typing that at the same time....

I'm running pro tools 10 on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13inch, that I've upgraded with a 1tb hard drive and 8 gigs of ddr3 RAM. I've got all the samples on my internal hard drive at the moment

East West on PT is AWFUL running from an internal drive in my experience. Get the EW samples on another drive and I bet you'll find a significant improvement.

I do have them stored on an external I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes. I would've thought it'd be easier to get the files off the internal...

I've used Reaper for years, absolutely love it...problem is I can't render the final project correctly...when I play back the wav file after rendering the sound cuts out some articulation a will be missing, random static...absolutely frustrating

Reaper is a great piece of software. It is not however the answer to questions about any other piece of software. I understand people are enthusiastic about it but it just isn't helpful--- especially when the OP identifies himself as a reaper user in post #1.

Amen. Seriously, everyone on this forum needs to get off reapers nuts and accept that some people just don't want to use it.