Pro Tools v other hosts of non-suck

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Has anyone else ever noticed that with Pro Tools, you can't really run it at 64 buffer size on the soundcard. Yet (here at least) with the same soundcard (Digi 002 unfortunately!) running the Digi CoreAudio Manager, I can run Logic at 64 just fine, with all the plugins I want... I can also run Ableton Live with the same settings and performance as Logic.

So what the hell is it with Pro Tools?! They're not even using CoreAudio, and are using proprietary drivers, and it's still unable to give me the performance I need!

/rant

Yeah, but are you just recording audio, or are you using a load of compressors and eq's and instrument plugins? I can run at 64 no problem, as long as it's just recording audio. The point I think you're missing is that with the exact same hardware, my Digidesign branded soundcard runs better in their competitions host software!

That's my point.

the other daws will let you run at any buffer you want, whether it's stable or not.
PT will stop the recording if a sample is missed.

Not true. So does Logic. Logic will stop playback if the sample-rate screws up. And you say PT will stop if a sample is missed.. you say that like its a good thing!! What happens if you've just captured the best drum performance of your life, but oh wait, PT just stopped recording half-way through it.

I use a HD3 system at the studio that won't let me select any lower than 128... Here at home I run my multiface at 32 (yes, that's correct) when tracking.

What it always boils down to for me is that Digi interfaces/drivers suck majorly, but the actual ProTools software is mega win.

Yeah, but are you just recording audio, or are you using a load of compressors and eq's and instrument plugins? I can run at 64 no problem, as long as it's just recording audio. The point I think you're missing is that with the exact same hardware, my Digidesign branded soundcard runs better in their competitions host software!

That's my point.

why are you running at low buffer size when mixing?
up it to 1024 for the most cpu headroom and stability?

exactly, and i think the way the core audio driver, and the dae engine in pro tools handle the buffer is very different hence the change in other DAWS,

In HD having less than 128 wont make any difference, as a record armed track has next to no latency in HD