Probable Redundant Thread: Your Favorite Book

Actually if you read the Silmarillion first you wont get confused while reading LOTR because you will understand all the references to historic characters and some poems.

But i guess without reading the hobbit or LOTR first, you wont have the need to know more about the history of this world, since you dont know this world at all.
So thats why people read lotr and the hobbit first, i guess.

Originally posted by Soul4Raziel
Has anyone here read anything by Terry Goodkind?
Yeah, I've read the entire Sword of Truth series. It's not terribly innovative or well written, but it's a fun read. Goodkind is nothing compared to writers like Tolkien or Jordan, though.

I need to read Book of Nod, I enjoyed The Book of the Kindred.

On the Road--Jack Kerouac (because it showed me reading could be fun when i was 16)

Neverwhere--Neil Gaiman
Catcher in the Rye--J.D. Salinger
The Stranger--Albert Camus
Illusions--Richard Bach
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--Ken Kesey
I love Shel Silverstein as well, He actually use to drink in a bar here in Nashville quite a bit (he lived here for a while i heard)
I remember really enjoying a book called 21 Lessons of Merlyn

there are several more but i have to take a POOP:s :D

jAY

Originally posted by Ordeith

Yeah, I've read the entire Sword of Truth series. It's not terribly innovative or well written, but it's a fun read. Goodkind is nothing compared to writers like Tolkien or Jordan, though.

I agree, but the Sword of Truth series is great for people who enjoy Tolkien or Jordan.

Forget everybook anyone has ever told you to read and pick up Druss by David Gemmell. Gemmell has the most kick ass flawed heroes i've ever read.
Druss 'the axe man' 'the saviour of skeln pass' 'Protector of Dros Delnoch' fought for over 60 years with his double headed, demon possessed Axe to get back the wife stolen by slavers......

Aaaah Druss

My problem is.. the beginning of books are sooooo boring. I have probably started reading and stopped reading 10-20 books. But with almost any book, once I get past page 100 I cannot stop reading it, and I will finish it within two days, It's just so hard concentration on the boring beginning, I don't know if anyone else does this, but you'll read two pages and realize you were daydreaming while you read, or playing a song in your head, and you then have to go back and re-read those two pages, hehe.

i'd have to say its a tie between george orwell's "1984" and aldous huxley's "Brave New World". what can i say, they're probably the most accurate and realistic predictions of the future if society continues on its present course.

Lord of the rings is very good, but GOD DAMN that Silmarillion is AWESOME. I didn't really get it the first time I read it (I was 11), but the second time did it. I've also enjoyed reading Faust, Paradise Lost, Good Omens and Mort. Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut is also worth checking out... These probably dozens of more but these are the first to come to my mind.

Yeah, Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" made a huge impression and influence on me 2 years ago when I first read it. I also loved the sequels ("Speaker for the Dead" etc.). The "love is all you need" meta-universe theory was a bit too fluffy in the end, but the characters and interactions are awesome. I changed my mind on a lot of subjects after reading those books.

Otherwise, some of my most influential books are (chronologically, in the order I read them) :

Philip K. Dick - "The Man in the High Castle"

William Burroughs - "Naked Lunch"

Franz Kafka - "The Castle" + all the short stories.

D Mullholand
--------------------------
NP: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Originally posted by leadfoot256
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--Ken Kesey
yeah, this is my favorite. much better than the movie. he makes the crazy people seem sane and the sane people crazy. this sounds cheesy, but it's true: it made me view people's actions a little differently. when some old or "mentally challenged" person does something inappropriate, i try to think of the rationale in their head.

None of you has yet mentioned Edgar Allan Poe's writings! Sob. He is my absolute favourite, and a collection of his works called "The complete tales and poems of Edgar Allan Poe" that I recently acquired has given me much to read, think and feast upon. Over 1300 pages of minute eloquence and manna from heaven for those who love classical, tragic characters struggling on the precipice of sanity.

When I was younger I glutted my mind and soul on Stephen King's books, and I still consider "The shining" a very good read. The other books I read have pretty much lost their shine.

William Blake - "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" and "The Book of Thel" which are fascinating. I should read through both of them again, I think...