Probably a daft question, but...

Rosskel

Jul 1, 2004
Hello,

I was never really a massive Watchtower fan - I bought Control and Resistance in 1989 and was amazed by the playing, but the vocals eventually nipped my head so severely that I had to have surgery.

Anyway, I heard a rumour that they were a Christian band. Is this true?

Cheers,
Ross.

As far as I know they were not a Christian band. In fact, they lyrics do not seem very christian to me.

Regarding the voice... I had initially the same problem, because the voice was very high pitched but I finally got used to it and I have enjoyed C&R a lot :devil:(the voice may be high pitched but it is not out of tune!, at least not to my ears).

Nah, it's not out of tune...it's just harsh.

Frankly, it sounds as though the entire band need to get stoned, laid or both.

why would they need to get stoned or laid?

Control and Resistance is the awesomest of the awesome. i love the vocals, they are so epic, they give the gnar technical prog aspect of the music a bit of a power metal edge, IMO.

WE WANT MATHEMATICS!!!

Probably just a daft statement after a daft question...

No idea why anyone would think WT are a Christian band - even though there's the obvious band name relationship to a certain religious periodical, none of the lyrics ever alluded to faith of any kind, unless you count libertarianism :D . Which doesn't mean the guys aren't Christians, although I think only Ron and in particular Alan put any thought into matters of faith. But who cares either way, when they make music like that? Damn, does the world of metal ever need Mathematics, these days...

I'm pretty sure I am/was the only member of the band WatchTower who is a "Christian", if you want to call it that.

WatchTower was also the name of a Jehovah's Witness magazine (I think), and had/has nothing whatsoever to do with the band WatchTower. Absolute zero.

Ron

Ron, I'm sorry to bother you with this question but I can not avoid it...

Why did you write Christian between quotation marks?

Different people have different ideas/beliefs of what a christian is. But whatever that may be, the band WatchTower or the band name was/is not based on any of them. Especially anything related/associated with Jehovah's Witness.

unless you count libertarianism :D

"His freedoms, rights, and privacy neglected

(...)

A question of Control
Will produce the fear of anxiety
Further abuse of security
We ignore implications for a free society"

Total libertarian-esque lyricage right there, and I fucking love every minute of it!

Speaking of Watchtower lyrics, Mayday in Kiev to be exact, my dad lived in Kiev when Chernobyl happened, and people were getting arrested left and right for trying to evacuate, because they were supposed to be marching in the [bogus] "Workers'" May Day Parade. I guess that's why WT chose Mayday, for its double meaning (May Day, as in the parade, and mayday, the distress call).