PROBLEM, (need help asap)

Jul 31, 2010
Okay so i'm in the middle of doing a bands EP, i'm tracking with my 5150 mesa cab, and there is this super strange high pitch noise, like we only have 3 days to track all the tracks, i need to find out and whats going on with this as soon as possible, the main tubes have been replaced like a month ago, i'm using speaker cables, to link the head and cab so nothing to do with that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13978357/PROBLEMMMMMM.mp3

Yeah im thinking about going here in a min to sam ash and just replacing all 5 of them, anyone know what kind i should put in this head?

I have not replaced pre amp tubes in awhile and when i did the guy up at the shop just put some random one in there.

Maybe someone should ask this first- Where is the player in regards to the cab?

Replacing tubes isn't going to get rid of that if you are within 10 feet of a cranked amp.

No dude this is not just normal feedback, we are like probably 40 feet in another room tracking guitars, i have my cab in a live room and we track over by my computer and everything. like this feedback cut through in the middle of riffs and stuff, which has never happened before in tracking with my amp and my 5150 has alway had some feedback but not like this, not high pitch feedback thats cutting through riffs.

There ya have it then, replace preamp tubes :)

If you are buying from a big box store, tube selection is kinda shitty. I know my local guitar center has crappy rebranded tubes and EH, but they also carry the Shuguang's. If you can't get a good brand at sam ash, go with he Shug's if they got em.

I just called the sam ash closest to where im at and they told me they have JJ's 12AX7's so im probably just going to put those in, i mean all my other tubes are JJs, i just have to get something by today.

Sooo i just replaced all the preamp tubes, it is stilling doing it. wtf

check list.

not standing close to the amp.
its not any of the cables.
cab is hooked up with speaker cable thats new.
not the cab because it does it on any cab.
power amp tubes are all new.
does this with any guitar.
noise gate fails to take all this noise out in tracking it still comes through a little to much to work out.

The tones great, no cracking nothing, just that high pitch noise idk what the fuck to do anymore, amp techs and guitar center say they do not know, and i have a deadline to get this EP done.

any help or suggestions would be great.

track and cut it all out by hand, sucks but it'll get the job done

or track using DI/amp sim and send off to someone on here to reamp

Okay this is something i also tried, the feedback goes sooooo far into the chugs that it makes the chugs come in off time and just bad.

Sounds like you have your coil tap enabled!

That or you have your amp/pedal set up real bad.

we just tried running it with no pedals and still doing it, then tried a ec1000 as the guitars still doing it, like we are soooo stressed about this, noise gates non of them are getting this noise all the way out, and its to bad to just cut out way to bad, all the amp techs here in indiana suck ass and are just like dude i have no idea, the dude that i got my amp done by lil over a month ago is not back in until jan 1st and thats past our deadline on this EP, and im guessing hes going to be a asshole about it and charge me out the ass for the amp again.

we all love the tone we are getting its just this damn microphonic feedback im we are getting.

Got a new update on this problem we realize while watching the tubes when you play and the feedback hits, the tubes light up bright ass blue, this im guessing is deff not normal, anyone know what this could be now?

its normal for these to be like crazy lines of blue to be shocking through and bouncing around inside the tubes every time i play?
i never noticed that ever before, does not seem normal to me, i mean i guess it could be just does not seem like it would be normal