problem playing standing

metalbeard

Nov 20, 2007
So I've been playing guitar sitting down since I started about a month ago.

Now I'm trying to play standing, the problem I have though is that the neck keeps drooping down, so I have to hold it up while playing. This is hard enough while playing riffs, and impossible for me to play any sort of melody. This surely isn't right, is it?

I've seen some videos of youtube of people playing standing and even when they let go of the neck during a pause in the song their guitar stays in a fixed position with the neck pointed slightly upwards how it should be. However, when I let go of the neck it just drops down. I've tried adjusting the strap, it makes no difference, any advice?

Er. Maybe if you could post a picture/video of you standing with the guitar? All I can really think of at the moment (am a bit drunk and have been awake for nearly 72 hours :p) is maybe tightening the strap more.

Er. Maybe if you could post a picture/video of you standing with the guitar? All I can really think of at the moment (am a bit drunk and have been awake for nearly 72 hours :p) is maybe tightening the strap more.
You're drunk? It's 11:30AM :S

Now I'm trying to play standing, the problem I have though is that the neck keeps drooping down, so I have to hold it up while playing. This is hard enough while playing riffs, and impossible for me to play any sort of melody. This surely isn't right, is it?

your guitar is a piece of shit, get a new one.

balance should be considered on an equal level as tone. alot of cheap guitars have a neck dive problem. and as you have discovered, it hinders your playing ability.
~gR~

I've seen some videos of youtube of people playing standing and even when they let go of the neck during a pause in the song their guitar stays in a fixed position with the neck pointed slightly upwards how it should be. However, when I let go of the neck it just drops down. I've tried adjusting the strap, it makes no difference, any advice?

Your guitar is what is commonly referred to as being "neck heavy." Unless you feel like adding weight to the bottom of the guitar to counterbalance it or pinning your strap to your clothes, you're not going to get your guitar to sit in the position you want while standing. This is the reason why I haven't purchased the currently available versions of Ibanez's Iceman - despite that huge body, the neck keeps pulling the guitar down - and is one of the deciding factors on any guitar or bass that I purchase.

Cheers for the input guys. I did quite a bit of research before buying my Jackson RX10D (flying v), and I didn't encounter this problem in any of the user reviews I read. I have worked out a fix to this problem by passing the strap through my belt, which prevents the neck from diving down.

Pic of guitar:
467-large.jpg

I have the (transparent blue finish) Jackson DK2 Dinky, I bought with it a blue (Polymer?) strap (that has a lightning going through it kinda) at Guitar Center and it's fantastic, the guitar doesn't dive at all, despite it's "heavy" headstock, it kinda just grabs onto my shoulders and sticks, I will try and find what it's called for you if you want to try it out.

Here's the guitar if you want to compare, maybe mine is lighter and doesn't dive, maybe it's a good strap, who knows?:

337146jpg.jpg

EDIT: It's a Perri's 2" Polyester Design guitar strap, I found the exact one I have here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Perri-s-2--Polyester-Designer-Guitar-Strap-103116406-i1130518.gc

I'm pretty sure that's what I got, and it's reasonably cheap too, definitely worth a shot right? Good luck!

Cheers for the input guys. I did quite a bit of research before buying my Jackson RX10D (flying v), and I didn't encounter this problem in any of the user reviews I read. I have worked out a fix to this problem by passing the strap through my belt, which prevents the neck from diving down.

Pic of guitar:
467-large.jpg

cheap jacksons have terrible neck dive problems, and thats what you bought. a cheap jackson. my cheap kelly 7 string dives significantly. however, my kevin bod sig rhoads does not.

unfortunately, youre gonna have to pay more for good balance and playability
~gR~

cheap jacksons have terrible neck dive problems, and thats what you bought. a cheap jackson. my cheap kelly 7 string dives significantly. however, my kevin bod sig rhoads does not.

unfortunately, youre gonna have to pay more for good balance and playability
~gR~
It wasn't that cheap, it goes for about $500-$600. Why would Jackson, or any other manufacturer, continue to make and sell cheap guitars that have dive problems anyway?

I may consider getting an RR3 or higher roads model.

I had the same problem with my Ibanez Xiphos. You need to relocate the strap buttons to a places where the guitar will be in an equilibirum position with respect to the centre of its mass. All you'll need to do is to drill a small hole(s). Although having said this, it could be difficult to relocate on the RR shape. I recommend you try a padded or leather guitar strap, both should increase the friction at your shoulder, therefore reducing downward motion.

usually the sign of the neck falling is the placement of the strap nut. You should find a better place to put it. maybe stick it on the back of the guitar close towards the guitar behind the neck just before the neck joins with the guitar.... But it all depends try a few things but don't drill holes all over, try using some tape to hold the guitar in the right positions.. Use duct tape. I have some removal ways to get ride of the stick glue from the tape but if you are only putting it on for a few seconds to try out shouldn't be a problem...

I used to suck at playing standing up. But then I raised my guitar higher. I'd rather look like a dork and not fuck up then not look like a dork and fuck up.

It wasn't that cheap, it goes for about $500-$600. Why would Jackson, or any other manufacturer, continue to make and sell cheap guitars that have dive problems anyway?

because people will buy it. 500 for that guitar is too much. the RR3 has a similar problem. the RR5, RR1, and kevin bond rhoads balance well though

the xiphos has a neck dive problem? shit... i was looking at the 7 string.
~gR~

:lol:

$500 is cheap for a guitar. You're still in the entry-level range.

Jackson makes guitars that have dive problems because... as you've proven... they sell.

Don't get a Jackson... they are way too expensive for what you get. Even the USA Jacksons use garbage alder and as a result are tonally dead. If you want a real upgrade, get the Edwards SV. You'll have to import it from Japan, but it will be a VERY nice guitar.

not my jackson! mahogany body and neck! i paid 1K for it though. the kevin bond sig rhoads is the best jackson ive ever played. thats why i bought it.

but alot of jacksons are crap. i have one, i know. man, playing my 7 string kelly tonight was sooo frustrating and difficult. terrible balance. and mediocre tone at best.

and yeah, $500 is way cheap. it may not seem like it to you, but trust us, it is.
~gR~

not my jackson! mahogany body and neck! i paid 1K for it though. the kevin bond sig rhoads is the best jackson ive ever played. thats why i bought it.

but alot of jacksons are crap. i have one, i know. man, playing my 7 string kelly tonight was sooo frustrating and difficult. terrible balance. and mediocre tone at best.

and yeah, $500 is way cheap. it may not seem like it to you, but trust us, it is.
~gR~
OK, first of all, I relocated the strap nut further down the body where it meets the neck. I simply took one of the screws out there, put the nut in, and screwed it back. It's now perfectly balanced - so much so that I prefer standing :D

Also, 'cheap' is relative. And a higher price doesn't mean a massive improvement in quality. This shit gets the job done. Burzum was recorded on a shitty guitar, and I've heard some damn good technical death metal on an entry jackson guitar.

I'm a beginner, so I could be wrong, but what the hell, rhoads FTW.