Problem with guitar DI

LIIKET

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2006
So I've been tracking a guitarist for a record and failed... Basically his DI sounds like utter shit, and I dont know why. The guitar is a les paul and the strings are new and this is what I get: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14938577/shit DI.wav

I notice a HUGE low end that just craps on everything. Its impossible to even get a proper distorted sound. Its like the low end is the only thing that distorts cause its so damn loud, and that sounds like a goddamn fart. I've been trying to eq the bass out but then all punch goes away and it sounds wierd.

Now I'm just wondering, is it even possible to get a half decent tone out of this DI or am I screwed? Any thoughts? I would totally donate my girlfriend to the one that shows me some magic to salvage this mess!

First thing that came to mind was EQ'ing BEFORE your reamping, but you already tried that. Perhaps it's a different frequency? Try running a pretty wide band over the frequency spectrum with the amp enabled and see where it's sound the shittiest - Who knows, perhaps it isn't the bass? Try looking at the DI through at spectrum analyser to see if any frequencies are being a little to excited. Try EQ'ing out the bass frequencies AFTER the amp instead and see if that does the trick.

If that doesn't work, try going back to EQ'ing out the bass before the amp, and try to be more surgical.

And as above said, if there are active pickups, then it certainly sounds like the battery is bad.

Else I have no idea.

If you REALLY don't wanna bring him back for another recording, then... That part doesn't sound particularly hard. Maybe you could re-record if yourself?

I have a Showmaster with stock passive Fender pickups and it also has a lot of low end.
That's just how that guitar's pickups are gonna sound.

If battery is bad, someone will have lots of clipping, there is no such issue. I`m think that guitarist should hit strings harder, in that case highs will be more prominent.
The ending 160 ms shows clipping, probably guitarist should play as hard, as these last final milliseconds :)
As some kind of illustration: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3630120/25022011_TAT_PH-R_picking_sample.mp3
First part of DI with hard picking, second part with lazy picking, level difference compensated by significantly larger gain (around 12 db), same guitar and pickup.