Problem with pickups

Wyldechyld

Jordan Guthrie
Jan 22, 2011
Oklahoma, US
Hey everyone, a couple days ago I started having some trouble with the pickups in one of my guitars and I'm not sure what it is because I've never ran into anything like this before. All of the output is really distorted and compressed. At first I thought my bridge pickup was possibly going out, but when I checked the neck pickup it had the same problem. Has anyone else encountered this? I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything useful.

Here's what it sounds like:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29437721/New folder/Pickup Problem.mp3

The first half is the bridge pickup and the second is the neck pickup

- What kind of pickups?

- Are you absolutely sure you don't have something accidentally turned on, or turned up, in your signal chain?

- What kind of pickups?

- Are you absolutely sure you don't have something accidentally turned on, or turned up, in your signal chain?
They are Duncan Designed HB-105MT. And there's definitely nothing turned on, I don't have any issues with any of my other guitars.

Are you plugging into an amp or direct into soundcard? Just trying to narrow it down. Two pickups dying at the same time sounds unlikely.
Plugging it directly into a Scarlett 2i2. The same cable and channel with a different guitar produces clear output. At this point, I'll probably open up the electronics in the guitar and see if anything is awry. I don't understand how both pickups could go bad at the exact same time, so it almost has to be an electrical problem, correct?

Well I found what was causing the problem. One of the wires from the battery housing had poor connection. Reconnected that and everything works as it should.Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!