Recommend Pickups

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys, I've been using Duncan JB/'59 sets in most of my guitars for many years (tough combination to beat) and am debating about trying something new. This a two part question...

First, my main guitar right now has a humbucker bridge pickup and singlecoil-sized neck pickup. What would you recommend for a single-coil sized mini humbucker to go with a JB bridge? (Was thinking lil '59, and also heard good things about the Air Norton S.) What would you suggest?

Second scenario, If i replace the JB as well what pickup set would you suggest for a neck/bridge pickup set?

The guitar is Mahogany body, maple/ebony neck. This guitar has a generally warm, but well defined tone. Music style is classic metal, some progessive stuff, and instrumental rock/metal. I'm not big on super high output pickups or actives.

Thanks!

I really like Duncan Hotrails in the neck position for lead stuff.

JB isn't a bad pickup for classic metal tbh. You could also try a Bareknuckle Nailbomb.

Bareknuckle Alnico Nailbomb Bridge + Cold Sweat Neck is a great combination in a Mahogany body + maple/ebony neck. The nailbomb is very versatile for a range of styles and the cold sweat is great for cleans and leads.

Thanks for the comments guys... I'll check out the suggestions.

Trevoire - does the Hot Rails work well for clean neck pickup stuff?

Cheers.

It's ok as long as you're gentle with it. If you start strumming hard then it'll drive the front of the amp too hard as it is a pretty hot pickup. Play gently or roll back the volume control though and you can get a decent clean tone.