Pickups question

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I would like to upgrade my Schecter c1xx guitar with an EMG81wt(the new coil tap version of the 81) in the bridge. Right now I have seymour duncan designed pickups that are modells of the jb/59 combo which can be coil tapped. I really only want to replace the bridge pickup as I don't have much money and i'm happy with the pickup I have in the neck anyways. Would I be able to have one passive(the 59) and one active(the 81wt)? If so, could I use the coil taps on them still? Anything special that has to be done? Would it cost more money to have the new pickup installed? I'd appreciate your help on this.

you can run both, i've done it before. the best way would be to use 2 volume controls. the 25k for the emg and the stock pot for the neck. That way you keep the proper loading for the pickups. But it won't sound super together becasue the emg will kill the passive.

I can live without using both pickups at the same time. I rarely do that anyways. So really there is no extra hardware I need to buy? My guitar already has two volume knobs. Don't the emg's come with all the hardware necessary anyways? Thanks for your reply. Looks like that is what i'm going to do.

the active pickup can just be put in normally and everything? Well I guess that doesn't really matter because i'm having a tech install the pickup. I'm going to have the guitar set up and some parts changed at the same time. Thanks a lot for your help btw.

One thing I forgot about is the fact that my guitar is going to need to be set up to run an active. It will need a place for the battery and stuff. I went to a tech today and he said that I will need a new jack as well so I dont run out of the battery when i'm not playing. He said he won't set it up to have one active and one passive because he beleives it is "wrong" and it would have to be wired incorrectly. I can live without a volume switch working properly but whatever. He said if I get two actives he will do it. He said it would cost about 75 dollars. Is that reasonable if I decide I want to get an active in the neck as well?
Any other problems that I may run into with one active and one passive? If I go to another person it will have to be guitar center. Well its a company that guitar center allows to do business there. Problem is they are only there once a week so I will have to wait at least that. If it takes more than a week for them to do this then I will have to wait a whole other week.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Pick up a $20 soldering iron and some 63/37 electronics solder from Radio Shack, shoot me a message here or on AIM/Yahoo/MSN/Whatever, and I'll walk you through it. I hate fucking bullshit like that, I'll do this for free just so wankers like that don't get your money.

Jeff

where does the battery go? I'm very interested. My friend has a cold heat soldering iron. Would that work for this job? I just don't see how I can install it without a battery chasiss. How does the quick connect thing install? If I can do this myself then that would make me a very happy person. What time are you online usually? I have AIM. Thank you very much.

Any good soldering iron works.

Do you have room in the cavity for a 9V? If not, you can either dig a chunk out yourself (not as hard as it sounds) or have an external juice box if you really want it.

I'm online erratically, weeknights between 10 and 1 or so CST are the best times to catch me for the near future; I'll have more time soon if that doesn't work.

I have another half-hour or so to kill right now if you want.

Jeff

I don't know if I have room or not. I have a schecter c1xxx guitar. What is an external juice box? I'll be on AIM in a couple minutes.

There should be enough room in the cavity for a battery if it's anything like the ones I've seen.

I meant a box that held the battery and sent power back to your guitar.

Jeff

yeah that's what i've learned. Phew...looks like this is not a huge deal after all. I'm going to just try and do it myself. Thanks a lot guys.