Problem with the deep freq.

Jun 12, 2012
Hello

my problem is that various frequencies from my bass guitar have a diffrent amount of volume (just the deep frquences) how do you guys treat that frequences?

i dont think its a compression problem ... i think of an eq problem? am i right?

For example in my mix the low B (5 string bass) have nearly no (sub)bass but at D its really pregnant- i think that is because i placed my bassdrum at 60hz. what do i do now?

What speakers are you on? It's possible that your monitors simply aren't reproducing the fundemental frequency of the low b string (around 30hz).

In my experience, the 2 track seperation method is crucial for any solid bass tone. as in make a copy of the first track low pass one to 200hz and compress/limit the hell out of it and high pass the other to plus or minus 800hz and add some grit from an ampsim or distortion unit. then set the balance between the two and send to an aux track and eq/comp it to taste. depending on the style you will emphasize or deempasize the low end. at any rate i would cut 500hz on the aux track a little and find the bottom of the kick and cut around those freqs as well to hear the bottom of the kick usually around 60 to 80hz. funny thing is, cutting around the 200-500hz region makes things sound deeper, go figure.

Thank you guys!
tried everything before - except automation.

is there any tutorial out there for this suppose? i know how to automate but dont know how to automate single notes right

My first thought regarding your problem with inconsistent sub bass dynamics is that its probably your room. A lot of the higher sub bass frequencies are getting excited by the reflections and standing waves causing them to sound more pronounced than your lower sub bass. Are the dynamics still a problem if you listen through headphones?

You didn't mention the tone controls of your bass. The kind of problem you're mentioning, chances are you've tracked it wrong in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
funny thing is, cutting around the 200-500hz region makes things sound deeper, go figure.

Ashgallows: that actually makes a lot of sense. The bass and the low mids are responsible for creating the "low". If you scoop out the 200-500hz area you will relatively emphasize the area below it (20-200hz) and it will sound like a "boost" in that area. That's why it makes things sound deeper.

Hope this explanation helps :)