Problems with bassdrum and bass

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
Any advices how to make both of them to fit on the mix? The whole low end seems to be a mess as the bassdrum and bass doesn't work together that well. I personally like it to be a bit chaos and harsh, but I'd still want to hear every hit by the drum. Any advices, that could be done without sampling the drum?

EDIT - Here's a sample how the mix sounds now: "just can't do it right"

Try reserving the bass drum's frequencies to somewhere around 60 - 80hz and the bass guitar around 80 - 200hz so they don't fight with each other. If you want each bass drum hit to be heard, you could emphasize the transients at around the 3khz area to add more click. Also get roll off the low range frequencies on instruments that don't need it.

Another option is using a compressor with sidechaining, but I'm not experienced with doing that.

a few ideas based on the sample, Did you compress the living hell out of the bass drum, I dont know if thats standard practice for all pro metal/rock AE's but I allways compress it so that my softest hit is as present/loud as my loudest hit, also I like to compress the shit out of the bass guitar too, ussually on a pedal going in. Take your eq and boost a notch, then sweep it around and find an area that brings out some of the desired presence of the instrument (in this case bass drum or bass guitar) and then dip out a couple notches that dont really pop out in the full mix to help make it less muddy, in your case specifically I would add some click to the bass drum try boosting just a small notch around 1k-ish, sounds pretty cool though, Im a noob on the computer stuff though so take it with a grain of salt

put a multiband on the bass and compress the fighting frequencies pretty hard. That should tame the bass guitar

As for a kickdrum, I use the 'Big kick drum technique' that you'll find somewhere on this forum to give the bass drum some extra 60hz punch.

put a multiband on the bass and compress the fighting frequencies pretty hard. That should tame the bass guitar

As for a kickdrum, I use the 'Big kick drum technique' that you'll find somewhere on this forum to give the bass drum some extra 60hz punch.

I searched and couldn't find anything, could you post a link?

If your ears can't do it, use your eyes and get yourself a spectrum analyzer (If you use PC VST, I personally recommend the free Voxengo SPAN, which is available here).

An example how to do it in Cubase (would use pictures, but I don't have any projects at hand) edit: I did a picture with no data, hope it helps.

* Create a new stereobus called "Spectrum Analyzer" with child busses (Devices > VST connections, choose GROUP/FX tab, click "Add Group", choose stereo and press "OK", right click on the new bus and choose "Add all mono child bus", close window)
* Put the SPAN as an insert to the group channel, open SPAN and input these parameters: Peak Hold to "Inf", Blocksize to "16384", Channel to "L+R"
* Send the kick to the left spectrum analyzer bus channel and the bass to the right
* Press play and go get yourself a nice cup of coffee. Let it roll for ~30-xxx seconds and press stop. (you can do this with two instances of SPAN, but I prefer to do it this way because the side-by-side comparsion is easier)
* Compare where the frequencies collide and concentrate on the values below 300hz.
* Use EQ to give space to both of them. I personally prefer to boost the kick at 40-60hz (alot), cut at ~125hz and highpass at 35hz after them on a different plugin. on the bass I usually boost at the highest peak (usually between 90-120hz), cut at 200-350hz where the mud is and highpass at 50-70hz

And highpass EVERYTHING ELSE at 80-120hz, because there really doesn't need to be anything else at the bass frequency range (except maybe for synth, cello, sub drop bombs and other bass orientated instruments), this gives a lot of room for the kick & bass and usually gives you quite a lot more clarity on the overall mix.

et silleen!

edit: I actually listened to the clip of yours, I must say that you should consider boosting the snap of the kick (maybe a peak or two at 1k-5k and highshelf boost above 8k?), also try out FaderWear paraller compression guide on the kick and snare

Thanks for everyone, I think I got somewhere with some Eq-changes and Parallel Compression Quide, that was actually very useful.

I searched and couldn't find anything, could you post a link?
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...o-i-learned-new-trick-making-drums-thump.html
that's the original thread.

I actually use a vst plugin from MDA called subsynth that does the same trick. It's free and comes with this vst-pack: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...o-i-learned-new-trick-making-drums-thump.html
Set the type to sine wave and play a bit with the threshold and the release.

i used it on this song: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=751685&content=songinfo&songID=6128328