Problems with sound using impulses

meadows.83

Jan 20, 2007
Westerville, OH
Hey guys. I just tried using impulses for the first time today. I have heard some awesome tracks using them. Anyway, I ran directly out of my Cobra's fx send and into my ultralite preamp. I opened up LAconvolver (I use a mac, and I heard this one was good), then I loaded many different IR files from either Guitarhack or Splat88 and got everything to work properly, but everything sounded very bad for me. It sounded as if you took any line out of any amp and went straight in. I messed with my amp settings, the convolution settings, wet gain, dry gain, etc. Nothing seemed to give me a decent sound. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

I don't have a Mac, anyway the Wet signal should be at 100% and the Dry at 0%.
That's the only advice I could give you...

I don't have a Mac, anyway the Wet signal should be at 100% and the Dry at 0%.
That's the only advice I could give you...

Thank you, I'll try that. I noticed when I turned the wet signal all the way up it got a lot louder and overloaded my channel. Is that normal? How loud should I be turning up my amp?

Okay, I forgot one step from the impulse tutorial that I found on here. It was, turn on software monitoring in host. Well, I went through logic and found that software monitoring was already turned on, but I believe that my interface automatically routes DI'd tracks right through to the monitors without processing so there is never any latency. Do you think this could be my problem? I feel like I am hearing the sound of the amp going straight into the interface, and it sounds god awful. Should I just record the sound anyway and then hope that it gets processed and sounds good on playback?

I got some okay sounds today, but still nothing that I would use and definitely not nearly as good as some of the other clips that I've heard on here. I think I may get revalver II in a couple weeks and try the impulses with that. I think that will probably sound a lot better than coming straight out of my cobra. That way I can always send the dry tracks out to be reamped as well.