Probot-Probot

kollex

Autistic Superstar
Oct 16, 2002
somewhere
www.maxpages.com
Dave Grohl’s track record is pretty good. Scream were a good if not great DC hardcore band. Nirvana were the scene setters and leaders (if you haven’t got In Utero and like alternative rock then get it) of alternative rock for a while. Then he founded the Foo Fighters; they who suck more than Monica Lewnisky. Over produced, permanently annoying, pop rock for kids who found Nirvana a bit too raw. Which makes the fact Probot are so good very surprising. Grohl and his Nirvana buddies always dropped hints about their knowledge of the underground metal scene whether it be by nearly getting Sepultura on the in utero tour (although that is a very a tenacious claim to being down with the underground) to openly stating that they wanted Bleach to sound like a mix of Celtic Frost and the beach boys.

So Dave knew his shit when he decided to gather 11 of the most inspirational metal vocalists from the 80’s (and Jack Black) together to record his ode to that groundbreaking time in music. A decision with may or may not be due to the fact he had as much credibility as Nickelback before this album came out.

Probot the album is one kickass trip back into the 80’s that no fan of 80’s metal cannot ignore. Musically the majority of the album is raucous fast paced heavy metal on which both doom metal and Venom are more influential than most. This isn’t to say that Probot only has one sound as Grohl also experiments with hardcore on access Babylon and with Entombed-esque death n roll, on Centuries of sin.

Grohl’s musicianship in this album is superb. His knack for crunching riffs and haunting and visionary melodies is wonderfully combined with his excellent guitar work. I personally hope he sets up a similar metal project again, as this is work that is of better quality than most full time metal bands.

Of the individual contributions, only a few are less than exceptional. From Lee Dorrians groovy yet ethereal performance on ice cold man to Kurt Brecht’s confident and cocky take on silent spring most of the vocalists show they can still do it as well as they did 15 to 20 years ago. Even Jack Black’s vocals on the secret track evoke the spirit and the full force of metal more than pretenders both nu and true have done recently. The standout track is my tortured soul which feature’s Eric Wagner of Trouble. The song itself is a brilliant piece of heavy metal boogie which benefits greatly from Grohl’s uncanny ability to find soul piercing melodies. The song is vastly improved (being that its great in the first place shows just how talented Eric Wagner is) by Eric Wagners passionate vocal performance and though provoking lyrics. This song actually achieved Grohl’s aim of bringing 80’s underground metal to a wider audience as know I can wait to get my hands on a copy of psalm 69. Also King Diamond fans should check out sweet dreams as the kings turns what could have been a below par Sabbath homage track into a theatrical and enjoyable piece of musical magic

Its not all good news though. One track falls short of the albums standard. Red War featuring Max Cavalera is average at best (which means it’s the best thing he’s ever done on 10 years).

All in all, all fans of any of the acts features on here and of metal in general should check this album out. Grohl proves that the fires of metal burn deep within his heart and that he has more metal in his little finger than the likes of Hatebreed and Lamb of god have in their entire body’s

It's funny that Grohl didn't do much metal drumming, though. On the QOTSA album, there was definitely something like it at some points.

Jesus, I am the only one who thinks that Dave Grohl is just a big Suck-Up! Arse Kisser.
What I mean is that the songs with the lead singer in, the music sounds like something the lead singer would do in his band.
e.g. in the track with Max Cavelera. musically it sounds like something from Sepultura or Soulfly!
...he's just a big suck-up!

enchanted_nightmare said:
Jesus, I am the only one who thinks that Dave Grohl is just a big Suck-Up! Arse Kisser.
What I mean is that the songs with the lead singer in, the music sounds like something the lead singer would do in his band.
e.g. in the track with Max Cavelera. musically it sounds like something from Sepultura or Soulfly!
...he's just a big suck-up!
First off, you have no idea what the hell your talking about. He wrote each song for the type of singer on purpose. All the singers on the album are all from bands he likes and listens to. DUMBASS!!!

Horrible album. Every song sounded generic, so much so, that the vocalists couldn't save them. Stupid drum beat in every song. WEAK guitar tone. The only song worthy of listening to over is Sweet Dreams, because it actually sounds good. I swear, I fell asleep listening to this piece of shit album and am glad that I didn't buy it. If I were Tom Warrior, Cronos, and King Diamond, I'd be ashamed to be part of this album. Dave Grohl doesn't have a fucking metal bone his his body.

Psychonaut said:
I do want this album. The only track I have heard off of it so far is the one with Lemmy but I want the album for the King Diamond track.

Save yourself the money, and download that song. That's the only worthy song on that whole piece of shit cd.