Probot strikes back . . . twice!

That's great! It's pretty rare to find Southern Lord stuff in ANY store, let alone Best Buy.

Ever since I saw them on Headbanger's Ball, I can't get "My Tortured Soul" out of my head. That song alone could boost album sales immensely. Hopefully it gets some radio play.

The Eric Wagner song is truely sweet ... as well as the Lee Dorian one. I am not much into Doom .. but the best tracks on the CD are from that genre.

I like all the songs on it, but the least favorite one is the Tom Warrior one ... doesn't even sound like Tom Warrior ... good release overall!

I finally found a quote that summarizes my feelings on Dave Grohl playing death/black metal:

"'No matter how low the technical level of some of the harder music is - and many times it sure is,' says Tom Warrior of Hellhammer, 'it is nearly impossible to play convincingly to audiences if one doesn't live, breathe, and understand it, if it isn't rooted in one's very blood. Because hard music lives so much from primitive instincts of power - from guts - it is hard for an outsider to really master it mentally and physically, no matter how talented and willing that outsider might be.'"

markgugs said:
I finally found a quote that summarizes my feelings on Dave Grohl playing death/black metal:

"'No matter how low the technical level of some of the harder music is - and many times it sure is,' says Tom Warrior of Hellhammer, 'it is nearly impossible to play convincingly to audiences if one doesn't live, breathe, and understand it, if it isn't rooted in one's very blood. Because hard music lives so much from primitive instincts of power - from guts - it is hard for an outsider to really master it mentally and physically, no matter how talented and willing that outsider might be.'"
Isn't Tom Warrior one of the guests on Probot?

JayKeeley said:
Isn't Tom Warrior one of the guests on Probot?
Yes he is ...

And Tom Warrior is not one to talk about integrity
:wave: ... hello ... Cherry Orchards ... :wave: hello ... Juices like Wine

That quote isn't important because of WHO said it; it's important because of WHAT it says. You guys - I think - know that.
Maybe I am hearing different things on the PROBOT record than others, but Grohl seems to have his heart in the right place. Anyone that goes through 3 years of getting together the singers for this project and writing NEW songs for each of them .. is OK in my book!

The record is certainly not breaking any new ground, but I rather listen to this than say Six Feet Under butcher some old songs on their Graveyard Classics release ... as an example.

There is no trace of DEATH or BLACK metal on this PROBOT release ... hell the songs don't even approach thrash territiory. I would call it more a tribute to these singers than anything else.

By the way, I have a review from Evil C for Probot going up this weekend (possibly tomorrow). You might like the next upload npearce 'cos I got a Frost review from BWD going up too. Who's yo daddy?

npearce said:
When I was about 3 or 4 years old, somebody told me, "Always listen to something before you respond to it on a public forum."
I'll give this attempt at being snide a B at best.

I don't have to listen to it, because my point has nothing to do with how well it's played. It could honestly be the greatest thing since sliced bread (doubt it), but it still is only (possibly) good because Grohl is a talented musician and has the ability to mimic music well. Nothing more. He did not grow up in this world, he does not call it his own. I'm to believe that all of sudden, this form of metal is his true calling and he's just been waiting to unleash this on the world? Sorry. Ain't happening.

markgugs said:
And exactly what does this have to do with Tom Warrior? I thought I was pretty clear that this has nothing to do with who said it, but what was said.
You're right, it doesn't have anything to with Tom Warrior as an individual. I just thought it was funny that you said you found a quote that summarizes your feelings towards Dave Grohl playing metal, and it turned out to be Tom Warrior who said it! Don't you see the irony?

The current Terrorizer has a really good spread on Probot. Dave Grohl goes through each song and discusses the way that, as a younger guy, he would idolize the guest that played on that song. Grohl talks quite candidly about his absolute worship towards KD & Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost etc. He also talks about how his hardcore band opened for Wino and The Obsessed back in the mid-80's, or how he would sit and try to learn by ear "Procreation of the Wicked" by Celtic Frost.

I haven't heard Probot, but from what I can gather, and certainly at face value, Grohl's heart does seem to be in the right place...

Erik said:
Eh... What Tom G. Warrior of HELLHAMMER (i.e. in the beginning of the 80's) said has NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, to do with what Tom says today. Are you going to hold what Lars Ulrich says today against "Kill 'em All"'s credibility too?
Absolutely correct, but that doesn't make it any less ironic, that's all.

Same with ol' Lars. What a dingbat. Everything he says today is a complete contradiction to what he said in the 80's.