Processed Line In vs. Smaller Tube Amp and SM58

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
I may soon be the owner of a Laney VC30, and up until this amp I have always played through shitty solid state amps where micing them up was totally out of the question, even for a demo, so Ive just recorded line in coming out of my Digitech guitar processor, but now that I (may) have this amplifier, would it be more beneficial to put a SM58 (I know it's not ideal, but it's the only mic Ive got right now) up to one of the speakers and crank the amp to achieve better guitar tone? I was just wondering if any of you guys who have experience recording bands have done guitars with a smaller amp and cranked it to achieve good/decent tone for the guitars, or whether I should just stick to line in until I can afford good mic/amp? Also, Im not sure exactly what type of rooms amps are recorded in when inside a studio, but would it be better to do it in a room the size of a small bedroom or something the size of a walk-in closet?! Stupid question, but Id appreciate it if I could get some advice on this.

I've noticed if you mic up in very small enclosures that you'll get a lot of extra low end on the recording that really shouldn't be there.... and that's about all I can add to this discussion.

Just try it and you tell us! Seriously though, a 58 isn't all that different from a 57 (exact same capsule with a different grill). I've recorded 1x12 combo amps and 2x12 cabs before and you don't have to crank them anymore than a stack to get a descent tone if the thing sounds good...especially if the mic is an inch away from the speaker. If the amp sounds good you'll get a descent tone and if it doesn't you won't.