Production effects? how to do certain effects?

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hi guys i realize this may be pretty noob but i was wondering how you may go about creating certain effects in a mix? This may have been covered in other posts and i'm sorry if i am missing them i have no idea how to search these effects due to lack of knowledge of what they may be called.

Anyways here is a little list of interesting effects that are pretty common in metal that i was curious how you guys would accomplish them.

below i will add links with the time in the song in which the effect takes place because this is the best way i can think to do this efficiently.

1. Vocal swell effect (really common) i assume just copy and reverse the part its leading into and apply reverb and delay perhaps?
link - effect at 3:08

2. Vocal/entire mix staggers or does quick repeat? not sure what it called
link- effect at 3:56-3:57

another example in the vocals

3. Eq changes?

this is within the ruins song invade the eq build in the first 3 seconds? not sure how its done maybe joshua can get in on this and school my noob ass haha

Thanks guys and i hope to hear from you there are a lot of smart mofos on here already learned a ton!

Im sure in the near future i will think of more but for now this is all i can think of

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
hey arv thanks for the reply helps a bunch i def understand how to do the vocal swell thing and i actually have used that ozone preset on vocals before and got a pretty cool sound thanks for the help and i will look up the glitch effect.

Any other effects in a production you guys may want to share or show an example of?

Thanks

hey arv thanks for the reply helps a bunch i def understand how to do the vocal swell thing and i actually have used that ozone preset on vocals before and got a pretty cool sound thanks for the help and i will look up the glitch effect.

Any other effects in a production you guys may want to share or show an example of?

Thanks

I wrote this article to help people think of creative effects and proper effect placement.
perhaps it'll help you out some! :)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/625202-smart-fx-beyond-bass-drops.html

As for your EQ swell, I picked that trick up from dance music. Automate a global EQ's lowpass filter to slide from like 1k up to full spectrum. pretty easy. Use your imagination and think up the best way to get there. That's how these effects get invented.

Thanks guys for the replies i will def try this stuff out, any one have a brief explanation of how to the the glitch effect in like cubase or something?

I really like that article you posted as well jim def makes a lot of sense i am glad someone is telling people to stop over using so many damn sub drops haha. they are def a good effect when needed though

RedDog i kind of figured it would be something along that nature just helps hearing it from other people. Dance music FTW haha my drummer makes gnarly dance music so gotta support that shit.

Thanks guys any more tips or effect ideas that no one has mentioned i would love to learn about!

Thanks