Prog Deathcore What does this mix need?

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys here is a track i am working on for my band. Would love feedback on this any advice i would love to hear.

There are no vocals yet, i still need to do some bass editing, and fix some small solo parts but its the mix is pretty much "done" but i would appreciate some help

Thanks

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9463730/TRCC Track 1.mp3

p.s. i realize the song is long but it is versatile if you are a fan of The Contortionist/painted in exile you might like it lol

Sounds a bit like Meshuggah, The Faceless and Death-core got together and had a baby. Overall it sounds good to me. Snare seems to have quite a bit of reverb on it (don't know if it's all room or if you put some extra on there) If you did put some extra on there I'd suggest dialing it back just a little. Also the snare itself seems a little bit dull. If you could somehow bring a little extra snap into it I think this would be a killer mix.

I'd say the snare could come down a bit as well as dialing out some of the tubby, buckety quality in the low mids/mids. That, and the leads could probably come down just a hair to better blend with the music. Otherwise, the mix is pretty solid! Some of the performance nuances are a little distracting and out of time it seems, but that's just nitpicking.

I like the song, nice job, really dig these kind of songs eventhough I hate deathcore, the dissonant chugging adds some serious evilness. What you could do is:

- Change the snare sound by compressing/EQ'ing/reverb/whatever or use a different sample. - Make it tighter!
- Some parts are really sloppy played, you should play them tighter.
- I personally never dual track my solo stuff, I think you do, it does give this huge sound but sometimes I can hear some sloppiness. You could try working with a Chorus.
- Is there bass? I'm listening this on shitty headphones but normally I can hear it with ease, now I don't lol.

Good luck and good job.

i agree that this is kind of sloppy playing and i hear where everyone is saying it seems like it gets off time, also take all those reverb plug ins off those drums its kill them, just blend room samples instead.

i feel like a lot of the chugs you try to get to tech but your not pulling it off well its seems a little skipy and rough? this stuff for sure needs to be hella tight with the kicks on those chugs deff when you are doing fast chug stuff like that. start editing guitars if you have to moving chugs in time so it doesn't seem so sketchy

also is there bass on this?
Because if so i could not make out any of it and if that's the case idk how anyone can judge a mix that has no bass in it?

some of stuff seems to just jump out no where in the song writing like i know its prog but i feel it could be structured out a little better and the transition could be more creative rather than just jumping part to part, to me every other 2 mins it seemed like a new song started then it ends up going back he same.

other than that its one of your better tracks tho.
there is lots of parts that i really like, i just think its something that still needs work tho and it could be great.