Prog Metal

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
I've never really delved into the genre much so I don't exactly have many points of reference, but I'll give it a try.

-Not too wanky with the guitar/keyboard solos/etc or too rigidly written to the point it's just going up and down scales.
-I'm leaning towards clean but powerful vocals on this one, but growls/screams are fine if they are exceptional. Please, nothing that sounds anything like James LaBrie or any power metal.
-Bands with excellent/creative drumming would definitely be a plus. While he may not be a virtuoso drummer, Martin Lopez's work prior to his departure of Opeth definitely had some amazing drumming that stands out due to a lot of subtle things he does that adds a lot of character.

Any recommendations?

try POVERTY'S NO CRIME their album "Save My Soul" this is an album from 2007. They do have clean vocals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey and Disconnected, and Vauxdvihl's To Dimension Logic.

How about some Slauter Xstroyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Spiral Architect. Not sure if you will think they are wankery or not. They have some amazing drumming. Try the song "Spinning" if you like drums.

Also, Nevermore. Warrel has some powerful clean vocals that I think you would like. Try the song "Sentient 6"

There are good recommendations here, especially the Fates warning, but maybe not the best release to start with. I also recommend Fates Warning, but "Inside Out" as the release.
I also think Germany's Vanden Plas may be the best Prog-metal band out there right now. The vocals are powerful when Andy (the vocalist) chooses them to be, but he prefers subtlety, so I don't know if they will be up your alley. I definitely would check them out if your are interested in prog-metal though.

Bryant

Give Honour Thy Drummer a listen. It's a jumble of decent (mostly unsigned) prog artists. There's quite a few very different sounding bands on there so there is bound to be at least one you like. The bands made it available for free so thats another big plus.

queensyrche early stuff is good the lead singer geoff tate has really powerful vocals ummm symphony x isnt to bad hope this helps.