Prog Power VIII DVD (Should we have a box set?)

Progpower DVDs are not going to be an item that plenty of people buy that are not involved with the concert. Its kinda like a progpower t-shirt.. I don't expect to see it sold anywhere but here, and not worn by anyone but progpower attendees.

That being said, since the DVD is for us and pretty much us alone, we can curb the cost and let -us- do it. Out of the one thousand or so attendees, I'm sure we can create a volunteer production group to edit the footage and create the DVD. Don't think a large project like this can be done remotely?-- Look at almost any open source project.

This of course would only be possible if the idea of profiting from the DVD did not exist. In that case, the final product would be priced to cover material and post-production service cost.

- Who better understands what we want to see more than ourselves?

- Professional non-linear editing is at anyone's fingertips. Be amazed by looking at some DV communities and their productions.

- Hundreds of gigs, maybe terabytes of data, needs to be transfered. Delegate and distribute by BitTorrent.

- Coordination done through a wiki, irc-chat

- We don't transfer the rights of it, we're just employed to produce it (for free)

So, whose with me? Come oonn COoomme oonn

Progpower DVDs are not going to be an item that plenty of people buy that are not involved with the concert. Its kinda like a progpower t-shirt.. I don't expect to see it sold anywhere but here, and not worn by anyone but progpower attendees.

That being said, since the DVD is for us and pretty much us alone, we can curb the cost and let -us- do it. Out of the one thousand or so attendees, I'm sure we can create a volunteer production group to edit the footage and create the DVD. Don't think a large project like this can be done remotely?-- Look at almost any open source project.

This of course would only be possible if the idea of profiting from the DVD did not exist. In that case, the final product would be priced to cover material and post-production service cost.

- Professional non-linear editing is at anyone's fingertips. Be amazed by looking at some DV communities and their productions.

- Hundreds of gigs, maybe terabytes of data, needs to be transfered. Delegate and distribute by BitTorrent.

- We don't transfer the rights of it, we're just employed to produce it (for free)

A nice idea in theory, but the amount of artists who would agree to having footage and audio from their performances transferred every which way for free over the internet before being distributed for retail probably isn't very large.

As Wayniac said, there's too many production costs involved to make this happen.

Also, as you might not realize, it's not like the bands are getting paid to have their concerts recorded - in fact, they are the ones who have to pay for this. So in order for the bands to make some money back, it's the bands that can use these recordings for their own DVD releases.

c.

You're basically releasing a "bootleg" at this point. Of all the PP bands throughout the years, I can't think of ONE that is "taper friendly".

True, the home PC can do amazing things with editing vids & audio, but this is really a utopian dream. Perhaps if were a Grateful Dead fest, this could happen....

Bit torrent would only work if LOTS of people were involved. Even with 100 seeders of various bandwidth capabilities, transferring that much vid would take a LONG time, and would take dedicated machines 24x7 for everyone involved. With the amount of people necessary to do this, stuff would leak, I don't think there is any way around it.

I'd LOVE to just see some of the full sets from the bands, but I think there's a better chance of getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery before this happens....

Oh, and what Claus & Wayniac have said too! :Smokedev:

Pissing on parades coast to coast,
I remain,

J-Dubya

It wouldnt be a DVD made for US and US alone is an BOLD statement. There are lots of people who cant make it there and it would be cool to get it on disc. Though there would be a few bands every year who would not want to get involved due to money and doing thier own DVD projects. I think it would be a cool idea to do. But to say it is for ProgPower people and them alone is a dick thing to say. I know from other forums that the ProgPower community has been getting blasted for the elitist statements and attitude said by a few who post here is getting old and tiresome.
While I think a larger box set would be totally welcome by many. I would get them and I dont attend due to money and lack of days off of work. But I hate when people say "it is for us". I think the cost would be way too high for anyone to really make a profit off of it. Working in the field I know how much goes into this type of stuff. You would need to sell lots to really make it worth it. I love buying DVD concerts by any band I like. I still get angry when the Waken DVD's come out and they dont include most of the bands that I really would like to see on it, but fill it with bands that I have seen way to much footage by.
But being a collector...I would have no problem dropping 100 buks or so on a huge ProgPower dvd set.

It is a logistical nightmare, but I'd love to see it. I think a likelier scenario would involve the bands at the show taking the footage and putting out their own DVDs. I would personally love to have a copy of that Circus Maximus set from last year. Not to mention Freak Kitchen!

I wonder what the viability of someone shooting a set and editing and recording it "live", and then just releasing that as is, without going back and cleaning up the audio or fixing mistakes or whatever. Would people buy a disc like that? Would bands release a disc like that? We went to a California Guitar Trio show last night, and they were selling CDs of the performance about five minutes after the show ended. I know other bands do this as well, but I'm not familiar with anyone doing it with video. Might be an interesting experiment...

dt

It wouldnt be a DVD made for US and US alone is an BOLD statement. There are lots of people who cant make it there and it would be cool to get it on disc. Though there would be a few bands every year who would not want to get involved due to money and doing thier own DVD projects. I think it would be a cool idea to do. But to say it is for ProgPower people and them alone is a dick thing to say. I know from other forums that the ProgPower community has been getting blasted for the elitist statements and attitude said by a few who post here is getting old and tiresome.
While I think a larger box set would be totally welcome by many. I would get them and I dont attend due to money and lack of days off of work. But I hate when people say "it is for us". I think the cost would be way too high for anyone to really make a profit off of it. Working in the field I know how much goes into this type of stuff. You would need to sell lots to really make it worth it. I love buying DVD concerts by any band I like. I still get angry when the Waken DVD's come out and they dont include most of the bands that I really would like to see on it, but fill it with bands that I have seen way to much footage by.
But being a collector...I would have no problem dropping 100 buks or so on a huge ProgPower dvd set.
I agree that there are some people, that can't attend but want to, would buy this DVD or any of the previously released DVDs. But, from the vibe and wording of trentdk's post, I don't agree with your interpretation that he was being elitist. I don't know him personally and I could be wrong, but I took it this way. Not enough people, out of the entire world of metal fans, know about this festival to make and sell a large quantity outside of selling to the attendees. But, he didn't completely rule out the notion that some or a few people, who didn't attend, would buy it. I think that he was saying that most of the ones that have been sold are bought by attendees.

Look at the amount that Glenn said that sold, when LL was getting them ready to ship. Over 400. At least at that point, not even all the attendees bought it, let alone those who don't attend, or attend every year. I wonder how many have sold now. So it's no wonder that someone would think that they wouldn't sell much outside of the attendees.

I'd think that some or at least a few people, who don't make it to PP at all or not every year, would buy the DVDs. I also personally could see some internet stores or maybe a few smaller 'mom & pop' music stores wanting to buy a few and sell them to some fans that don't get to go or know about buying one from Lucid Lounge's site. I don't know if Glenn & Lucid Lounge would or have studied the ratio of sales of the DVDs of attendees versus non-attendees, but it would be interesting to know.

I'll also not interpret your comment about people in other forums saying that people in the PP community being elitist, to mean that you necessarily think that ALL of us are elitist. I know that there are a lot of people on this forum who take pride in this festival. There are plenty of people, that post here, that are more or less involved (work and support) with this festival (the promoters, the crew, the band members, vendors, internet radio stations, webzines and magazines, sponsors, GB holders, etc...). Not to mention all the others that buy tickets and buy lots of merch to help keep this festival going. Lots of people on this forum, including myself, do believe that this is the best festival around. But, I do not feel that I am better than anyone else or part of an elitist inner circle, just because I'm a PP attendee. I'd also think that most others don't feel that way either. We just love this fest for many reasons. Sure, I know there are a few people that think their shit don't stink because they're directly involved with and attend this festival. But they don't seem to be the majority IMHO in the years that I've gone (since PPIV). Most are pretty cool, humble people, that feel fortunate that they could make it to the fest and see some great bands and hang with some really cool people that they don't get to see, but once to a few times a year!

Back on topic, although I'm sure that it would be difficult and expensive to make, I'd like a complete PP DVD boxed set as well and would pay a reasonable price for it (but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of dollars). Although I'm not holding my breath, as I'd think that Glenn would have tried that already, were it reasonably feasible.

Thanks for the back-up Unca Kev, you're right :). I wasn't being an elitist, I am being a realist. Sure, there are going to be some random <10 copies sold to people who are not connected / participate in the progpower community, but the staggering majority of buyers will be people that were either:
-there
-wish they were there
-have been there in the past

Now for the fantasy it-would-be-so-cool-if-this-happened part: the DVD is produced by us, turns out to be fucking awesome and killer. It becomes a cult metal classic and needs to go back into the presses to make more of the overwhelming demand. Five years\ later people attribute metal into the American mainstream to the ProgPower DVD boxset ;)

Back to reality: J-dub, good point on the amount of seeders. It would be few, and it would take a couple days to download. Maybe mail a dvd here and there? And the bootleg stuff, of course the Project would attempt to keep the raw footage to themselves, but any leaks would be just that, raw footage. The awesomeness of the produced DVD would be limited to just the DVD (and then would be bootlegged afterwards, unstoppable of course). The bands? Well, if they didn't agree to the project, that sucks--and then who's going to pay Lucid Lounge to do the recording? Brings me to my next point...

..this Project would never happen of course :p With the owner's attitude towards bootlegging, an open consortium of this nature would be out of the question. I bring it up because this would produce the type of progpower DVD that we all want, a DVD of the experience. Imagine between bands we cut to a hotel room scene? Or scenes of the bands doing regular shit, like Angra eating at subway :D..

This would be a logistical and an economic nightmare with virtually no upside. Now, if PPUSA was more like Wacken Open Air with 60-70K attendees, I could see it happening. But, for a festival that barely draws 1000? Never happen.