ProgPower do's, don'ts

My first ProgPower - I'm not even in Atlanta yet and I'm already having fun!

Count me in for the Happy Tiny Headbangers photo op. I'll likely be the only 15 year old male wearing a Bob Seger tour shirt on Thursday, find me and say hello!

I highly recommend having a bottle opener handy, US domestics are often not the beverage of choice. It's an international beer fest as well!

Take a cab ride over to 'The Vortex' restaraunt....this jaunt is kinda pricey via cab since it's across town, but a visit here is becoming somewhat of a staple to the experience. Knowing someone with a vehicle makes it essential!

Take a cab ride over to 'The Vortex' restaraunt....this jaunt is kinda pricey via cab since it's across town, but a visit here is becoming somewhat of a staple to the experience. Knowing someone with a vehicle makes it essential!

Vortex still have two locations, I think; one is at Little Five Points (look for the giant skull-shaped doorway) and is pretty far away as you said. The other one, though, is in Midtown and should be fairly close.

If you go to Little Five Points, drop by Junkman's Daughter and go to the back counter (where the, errr, tobacco accessories are) and if he's working, jokingly treat our friend 'Satanist' Sam like a rock star. He did the voice for the new Metalocalypse TV ad on [Adult Swim], and the extra attention will probably make him really uncomfortable. In fact, be sure to clap and applaud. :lol:

Vortex still have two locations, I think; one is at Little Five Points (look for the giant skull-shaped doorway) and is pretty far away as you said. The other one, though, is in Midtown and should be fairly close.

If you go to Little Five Points, drop by Junkman's Daughter and go to the back counter (where the, errr, tobacco accessories are) and if he's working, jokingly treat our friend 'Satanist' Sam like a rock star. He did the voice for the new Metalocalypse TV ad on [Adult Swim], and the extra attention will probably make him really uncomfortable. In fact, be sure to clap and applaud. :lol:

I can attest, Junkman's Daughter is a worthwhile trip! The only place I've found a stuffed Cthulhu AND Nyarlathotep!
And the Vortex has a great Turkey Reuben!

We'll be doing The Vortex and Junkman's Daughter jaunt again this year. I'm still looking for the perfect skull ring. I found one at Junkman's a few years back, but alas it was too small. I'm also heartbroken that last year we were told there is no more Laughing Skull Beer. :erk: I wanted a Laughing Skull Black and Tan BAD!

Also a quick stop in the package store there is usually a must as well. We always can think of something we are running low on.

We'll be doing The Vortex and Junkman's Daughter jaunt again this year. I'm still looking for the perfect skull ring.

Also a quick stop in the package store there is usually a must as well. We always can think of something we are running low on.

would love to jump in on that this year of course provided you all won't get me kicked out with all your shinanigans :lol::headbang::kickass:

As for short people, stompy boots are wonderful.
Just got me an new pair of those for my birthday (earlier this month) ... along with a nice pair of comfy Dr. Shol's inserts with arch/heel support and everything. I'm going to see if that helps any with all the walking and standing I typically do at ProgPower. By the end of Saturday night my feet and legs typically feel pretty :hotjump: if you know what I mean.
Yes, Center Stage has a great seating arrangements - awesome views from pretty much anywhere. I'll probably take advantage of those seats during the bands that I'm not too big on/familiar with, but for the most part I just prefer to stand as close as I can and rock out at metal shows, especially if it's a band I love. :headbang:

I haven't read through all the responses so this may have been mentioned already.

Be careful going up and down the stairs in the bleachers!! I don't remember if they got those lighted last year or not.

And speaking of lighting, bring sunglasses because they shine floodlights at the seating area from the stage. Last year anyway.

One more place to eat closeby that my wife and I like very much is "The Highlander" http://www.thehighlanderatlanta.com/ , we like it better then the Vortex. The Pete's burger medium-well done is delicious, and the tater tots are worth the trip alone. All the food there is delicious and fresh. If you like Hummus dip theirs is really good, I'm hard pressed to find better in Atlanta.

I like the atmosphere and decor better as well, it's more laid back and it's in a strip mall with plenty of "FREE" parking. They have pinball machines and an air hockey table as well. The latest we've ever been here was 1:30am-2:00am in the morning and it didn't look like they were closing anytime soon.

And of being a bar of course they have full selection of alcohol and beers. As such they will check your ID when you enter and no one under 21 is permitted.

They are located in strip mall behind the Trader Joe's store, it is 2 miles away and about 6 minute drive from Center Stage according to google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...58508&sspn=9.218354,14.0625&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1

And for the ladies that need last minute club/fetish/something with spikes on it type clothes they sell at Junkman's Daughter or just shopping in general you can check out "The Pink Skeleton" http://www.thepinkskeleton.com/Articles.asp?ID=7 they work like Thurs-Sat only from 1pm to 5pm, it's a small shop but they are probably the only place I know about to find Newrock boots from the UK in Atlanta.

would love to jump in on that this year of course provided you all won't get me kicked out with all your shinanigans :lol::headbang::kickass:

This sounds like a lot of fun ... any chance I can get in on this fun trip on Saturday?
I've got to check with the two guys in my group (one being my boyfriend) and make sure they don't mind if I seperate from them for the afternoon ... that is unless you guys would mind three extras tagging along for this excursion. :headbang:

By the way, just to make sure I'm clear The Vortex sounds like a spot to eat and Junkman's Daughter sounds like a novelties/head shop? Is that correct? Sorry if I missed the explanation somewhere.

This sounds like a lot of fun ... any chance I can get in on this fun trip on Saturday?
I've got to check with the two guys in my group (one being my boyfriend) and make sure they don't mind if I seperate from them for the afternoon ... that is unless you guys would mind three extras tagging along for this excursion. :headbang:

By the way, just to make sure I'm clear The Vortex sounds like a spot to eat and Junkman's Daughter sounds like a novelties/head shop? Is that correct? Sorry if I missed the explanation somewhere.

Yep....we fill up on food and drink at the Vortex and then just across the parking lot is the head shop. But it's so much more than a head shop...wait till you see the Shoe Loft. That's what got me and Crew in trouble a few years back.....:lol:

I'll pm you my cell number.

Good description, but you forgot to mention that the jukebox has METAL! :)Judas Priest, Maiden, Morbid Angel, etc.

I've been tempted but never have checked out their jukebox, there is usually something playing that is acceptable and heavy most of the time, or they are watching Simpsons on the TV's and I think one would get lynched if they interupted the Simpsons. I also forgot to mention the cool Heavy Metal sign in the room with air hockey tables, and the pool tables as well.