Progpower Shopping Spree

dargormudshark

Sep 25, 2003
houston,Tx
www.dreamspaceonline.com
Hopefully this year I will have alot of money for shopping at progpower. But, so far this is what I plan to buy:

Theocracy-theocracy
Akashic-Timeless Realm
some Conception(if they have any)
some Ark(what ever the best one is)
Kamelot-Epica
Nightwish-Once
Adagio-Sanctus Ignis
some Into Eternity(whatever the best one is)
maybe some Pendragon
maybe some After Forever

Can anyone make any other suggestions?

I would suggest passing on Ark. I heard Burn the Sun... L A M E.

I don't go into ProgPower with a plan on what to buy... I just kinda wander around and find waaaaaaaay too much stuff that I just have to have.

Oh, you've got to have a plan, or else things get out of control. I always have a list of things I'm looking for, and then I figure I'll buy some other things that I was interested in. Also, I have to factor in the purchase of an unheard band that blows me away. Bottom line is that a lot of money is spent on CDs.

Oh, and Dargormudshark:

Ark - I liked 'Burn the Sun' and would recommend it. I think you'd like it too, considering the other bands you have listed.

Into Eternity - 'Buried in Oblivion' is the new one, and it is great!

Throw out some other band names that you like, and we'll give you some other bands to look into.

Steve

Ark- Burn The Sun. It's really a very eclectic mix of rock with Jorn Lande. Not really power metal at all yet cool nontheless
I don't know why I didn't like it... I just remember thinking it was really boring. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I didn't expect Power Metal and I am into waaaaaaaaaaaay more stuff than just Prog and Power Metal. I like to think I have a very diverse taste.

DarkOne said:
Oh, you've got to have a plan, or else things get out of control. I always have a list of things I'm looking for, and then I figure I'll buy some other things that I was interested in. Also, I have to factor in the purchase of an unheard band that blows me away. Bottom line is that a lot of money is spent on CDs.

Oh, and Dargormudshark:

Ark - I liked 'Burn the Sun' and would recommend it. I think you'd like it too, considering the other bands you have listed.

Into Eternity - 'Buried in Oblivion' is the new one, and it is great!

Throw out some other band names that you like, and we'll give you some other bands to look into.

Steve

I also forgot about Pyramaze and Sun Caged.

some bands that I like:
Rainbow, King Crimson, DT, SymphX, Evergrey, Kansas, Yes, Genesis, Adagio, Nightwish, Vanden Plas, Stratovarius, Kamelot, PoS, In Flames, Anyone's Daughter.
I'm rambling let make this simpler.

I like anything with good melodies and arrangements, especially if the musicians are good. I'm not a huge fan of death vocals, just as long as the song calls for it. Like Into Eternity, In Flames, CoB, and Agalloch.

Thanks Again :headbang:

I'll just post some bands I've been into lately...

The new Ayreon, The Human Equation, is amazing... thats a must buy. But you can probably find it all over the place. I bought mine at Best Buy. Might not be the greatest ProgPower purchase.

Pink Cream 69 - Electrified is a great album... Thunderdome isn't bad at all either.

Devin Townsend - Terria is my favorite... Accelerated Evolution, Infinity and Ocean Machine are all very good also. I am obsessed with this guy. I can't get enough of him... but a lot of people don't like his stuff very much. At least give Terria a few listens if you haven't already.

Winds - Imaginary Direction of Time or Reflections of the I are both cool

Anathema - A Natural Disaster or A Fine Day to Exit.

ummm... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head and I feel like I am just listing things you probably know for the most part. But they are all great albums.

Mephistopheles said:
I'll just post some bands I've been into lately...

The new Ayreon, The Human Equation, is amazing... thats a must buy. But you can probably find it all over the place. I bought mine at Best Buy. Might not be the greatest ProgPower purchase.

Pink Cream 69 - Electrified is a great album... Thunderdome isn't bad at all either.

Devin Townsend - Terria is my favorite... Accelerated Evolution, Infinity and Ocean Machine are all very good also. I am obsessed with this guy. I can't get enough of him... but a lot of people don't like his stuff very much. At least give Terria a few listens if you haven't already.

Winds - Imaginary Direction of Time or Reflections of the I are both cool

Anathema - A Natural Disaster or A Fine Day to Exit.

ummm... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head and I feel like I am just listing things you probably know for the most part. But they are all great albums.

I liked what I have heard previously from Winds. Although I felt their was something missing, but I wil probably buy it so I can give it a few spins and then I will love it. I'm still listening to Ayreon to get into them and I like a few songs. Anathema isn't too bad either. I think i am one of those people who don't care for Devin Townsend but I will give Terria a few spins.

dargormudshark said:
Hopefully this year I will have alot of money for shopping at progpower. But, so far this is what I plan to buy:

Theocracy-theocracy
Akashic-Timeless Realm
Kamelot-Epica
Nightwish-Once
Adagio-Sanctus Ignis
maybe some Pendragon
maybe some After Forever

Do you have plenty of Vanden Plas stuff ?
The new BoP ?
Get Tad Morose "Modus Vivendi" before you go to PP. More of a power band, but outstanding. I think it stayed in my player for two days straight and I forced myself to pull it out so I wouldn't burn out on it. The same thing goes for their previous release "Matters of the dark."

Bryant

I highly recommend Ark - 'Burn The Sun'. The songwriting is exceptional and the playing/singing is flawless...great drumming and fretless bass work. Odd rhythms, tempo changes, but plenty of melody thrown in. The capper is the epic ballad Missing You, with a Gilmour like solo...Jorn at his best.

Having attended PP3 but missed PP4 and having gone pretty crazy I have come to this conclusion. Through all the avenues I go during the year to get Cd's I am really not looking for much at all. Now what is unique is the T-shirts and collectibles available there. Cd's are very easy to get but shirts are hard to find without having to pay astronomical shipping from overseas. And finding your size is a challenge too. Collectibles lile the Angra- Rebirth Tour Book and the Gamma Ray Pin were very cool! But finding an Edguy- Theater Of Salvation shirt, a Nostradameus T-Shirt, and 4 Gamma Ray shirts (1 Longsleeve) was worth it for me. Who else found good shirts at PP?

Oh hell yes I buy about 5 shirts every time. I go apeshit on cds though and only get like I said about 5 shirts at a time. I manage to buy a bunch when I go to other shows that my wardrobe is pretty big now. Shirts I bought at PP are Edguy TOS Long, Sonata's Silence (I still havent worn it), PP IV shirt, Nightwish Over the Hills long, Century Child, Metalium Hero Nation, Secret Sphere, Edguy Burning Down the opera. That and about 15 cds each year. Dammit, now I cant wait to go just to blow insane amounts of money on music.

Ben

I forgot to mention, Arks Burn the Sun is a great Prog cd, but to me at least, it gets overshadowed by the godly rocker of a song in Feed the Fire. If you want some Melodic Rock in that vein get Jorns solo cds, Worldchanger and Out to Every Nation.

Ben

BTS is by far the best thing Jorn has ever been on...I'd definitely pick that one up, along with the two readily available Into Eternity albums. Mephistopheles: nice haul, although I think Judgement and Alternative 4 are the best Anathema albums, the last two do have some great songs on them.

The reason i'm planning this year is becuse last year i got screwed over. I din't know they were gonna have all the stuff they did. But, I did know they would have stuff from the bands playing. So I brought about $150 dollars, and when I walked in with my gold badge I was overwhelmed. I bought my Symphony X shirt, and got my spot at front saved so I could be right in front of Michael Romeo, but got screwed out of that too. The next day, I had a plan. Since I didn't like Rage I would stay up front until after Evergrey was done. When i went to the vendors after the Evergrey signing during Rage I went to the vendors, and they were packing all the stuff up. The festival had another 75 minutes to go! I got to pick-up one cd and the was Anyone's Daughter-Requested Live Document 2. It was a double cd(1 cd, 1 dvd) and I got it for $13.00. On amazon.com that cd is $40.00. This year I plan to get some more stuff like that great and inexpensive.

I have all the vanden plas except far off grace and spirit of live. I can pick up far off grace at best buy. I'm mainly going to buy bands that I don't have anything by, unless they have some more Anyone's Daughter.

I have just recently gotten into Ark, being a fan of Company of Snakes this was pretty cool. Their like a prog-whitesnake.

What about Nightingale? I'm also getting into After Forever, what should I check out from them?

Thanks

dargormudshark said:

Theocracy-theocracy
Akashic-Timeless Realm
Kamelot-Epica
Nightwish-Once
Adagio-Sanctus Ignis
maybe some Pendragon
maybe some After Forever

John Arch era Fates Warning (esp. Awaken the Guardian), early Opeth, Dio & his related bands, After Forever is great, Lefay, Jag Panzer, recent Iced Earth, Twisted Tower Dire, Agalloch, Novembers Doom, Anathema, Time Requiem, Masterplan, Silentium, Insomnium, Shaman (the other Angra members!), Charlotte Church (no! really!), Steel Prophet, and many, many, many others ( I did not mention any progpower bands because its obvious).
Enjoy!