ProgPower USA IX: Hotel Warning

If prices go up then so does the need to save just a bit more in advance. Bottom line, if you can't afford to go this year, it's not gonna get any easier for you(us). I personally couldn't give a shit as to whether Glenn has to pass certain cost onto us(the consumers) to offset his rising production costs. Once again, if you can't afford to go, then don't overextend yourself and stay home. We have all been witness to, on the "we can't make it" thread many forumers who can't make it for financial reasons. These reasons could very well hit us all, but honestly if you can't make it you just can't. Prices for everything will continue to go up and that's just reality, unfortunately. I guess we are lucky enough to have a promoter nice enough to toss us a bone every now and then in advance.

I hope the Marriotts & the Granada's upscale plans backfire on them, and they lose a bunch of business, at least from this festival.

You never know, they may have taken a few things into consideration. Progpower isn't the only event that goes on at Center Stage. Maybe CS and the Granada can work out where they reserve a "block of rooms" for concert goers - where there's a flat rate. That's something too that maybe Glenn could negotiate with the hotels as well.

There's hope yet and if it's thought out well in advance it can be manageable. I think the days of us metal peeps taking over a whole hotel may be done, but you never know...

1. The Granada will be starting an eleven million dollar renovation project soon. That’s right…eleven million dollars. They are going to gut the place, enclose the courtyard, add a restaurant, put bars in the lobby, re-do all the rooms, etc. It will be going upscale to match the area.. They will also be downsizing the number of true “doubles” to make it more of a boutique hotel feel. The days of me using it for bands are probably over as of this year.
Glenn - If the days of bands staying at the Granada are indeed coming to an end, then do you know where you plan to put up the bands next year, or are you still trying to negotiate/decide on the best option for that? (I did read this whole thread, so if this was already stated somewhere and I missed it sorry about that.)

I love staying at the Granada because it is so close to the venue, but the bands staying there was what the big draw was for me and my group. That's probably what I'll base my decision on for booking my room next year. Thanks for giving us the heads up on all this hotel insanity and helping out your attendees as much as you can in advance. :headbang:

Looks like next year I'll be getting my father to book me a Holliday inn(with his discount) if this does happen,hell,I'll still make out cheaper with cabs.

Yet another reason why I love driving down each year. We can get a hotel 5 miles away and not worry about it!

By the way, those regulars I always hang out with each year, remember that as long as I'm available, I'll try to offer a seat on the Metal Bus if you need. I don't mind doing a couple trips as long as it's conveniently coordinated. That and it also depends on which hotel you're at! HAH! But y'all can call me if you find yourself in a pinch.

And let's not forget the Cheesecake Factory...

If we do see the trend of everyone moving to other hotels I think there is going to be large PP crowds at those hotels and they may be willing to provide a shuttle service just for the fest like in Glenn's new hotel sticky. We're talking hundreds of us trying to book hotel rooms, I think that some other hotel(s) will step up and gladly treat us well. When that happens you might get the same number of us at the Granada at some other hotel, so the family is just a bit further.

You could also rent a van and split the cost with 4-5 people at your hotel.

Super 8 all the way. It's not fancy but it is in walking distance, has a microwave and frig and for those that stay there we have a good time.

This was bound to happen sooner or later.

Me and my buddies had to book in Decatur this time around as there was no room in Midtown's Super 8. I am also pretty sure there was a slight price hike too (maybe $10 or $15 from last year).

At this rate we will have to crash at the parking lot of Abdullah the Butcher's House of Ribs for PPIX or PPX. Hope they don't kick us out.

Fuck. Let's just all move to Germany and let Glenn take over the Wacken Open Air festival.

I don't know if this has been discussed or brought up in this thread at all, but what about booking a block of hotel rooms under a group rate? I'm sure if we can prove that they will be sold out that year, they might be willing to offer deeper discounts. I know that there is on hotel that did it this year, well at least a shuttle, but has anyone looked into it for next year or previous years?

-Metal