ProgPower USA VI: SOLD-OUT

Pellaz said:
Awesome! A new record! We did it! :headbang: :worship:

If it had sold out quickly the first day, I might agree with ya...but it seems as though it's in a perfect location now, unless Glenn "ups the stakes" and starts booking some big-draw (and much more expensive) talent. Here's why: Tickets sold swiftly for the first day, nearly filling the venue, but plateaued out after that. A 2,500-seat venue would take months, if it ever sold out at all...and from our investigations waybackwhen, it would NEED to sell out for Glenn to reasonably make a profit -- one venue that we looked at here charged double what Earthlink Live wanted, which isn't surprising since it was about double the size.

For the type of fest that Glenn's currently booking, Earthlink Live is just about the perfect size: anyone who wanted to attend and who knew about the ticket sale-date was able to get tickets; those who had to raise some money had three full days to raise the cash. And, as we know, Earthlink Live has so much else going for it in addition to its size, everything from good backstage amenities -- not many venues have five potential dressing rooms backstage! -- to things we tend to overlook, like.....a curtain!

Glenn has struck upon a truly winning combination of bands and venue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's an eloquent example of how one person's vision and effort (and risk) can change the course of metal in the States...forever.

Most definately, I couldn't have said it better! :worship: :headbang:

Damn, this was going to be my third. I was away for a couple of weeks and come back to see when in May the tickets go on sale only to learn the event is sold out!

Oh well, you snooze you yadda yadda yadda...................

Fear not, those of you who missed out on tickets: every year there are at least fifty people who either bought extras or realized they can't make it who put up their tickets for sale. Start checking around July...

I want to see a return appearance by Pagan's Mind. I missed them at IV and they're gaining recognition as one of the world's best prog bands. If Enigmatic Calling sells as well in the USA as I think it might, they could be a headliner at VII, or at least 2nd from the end.

Oh, and Gamma Ray please! This is prog POWER after all and I don't think Gamma Ray have ever played here! :D

Well.....since people are naming some bands they'd like to see....

Arcturus!!!!!!!!!
Spastic Ink
Solefald
Atrox
Pain Of Salvation (....maybe for BE?)
Devin Townsend (...again)

Jag F. Panzer (although they've been playing a lot of US shows over the past few years, and therefore might not fit the profile)
Antithesis (their "new" sound is going to blow away the power/prog metal world, if the album ever gets finished)
Memory Garden
Labyrinth

Limp Bizkit
Nirvana
The Strokes

Oh wait.... it ain't April Fool's anymore. Okay.

Labyrinth
Vision Divine (yes, BOTH them. On one bill. Back to back. Bitch. )
Manticora (don't fuckin argue, just nod your head and say, "Yes, back-to-back performances"... )
Demons & Wizards
DRAGONFUCKINFORCE

That'll do for me.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well.....since people are naming some bands they'd like to see....

Arcturus!!!!!!!!!
Pain Of Salvation (....maybe for BE?)
Devin Townsend (...again)

Hell, I'd be on board for any of these :)

Others I'd love to see, or see again...

Borknagar (or Spiral Architect again)
Vintersorg
Dragonforce
Sonata Arctica (since they won't be coming near here anytime soon)
Superior
Mercenary!
Green Carnation (LoD,DoD contractually required :))
Children of Bodom (for a set longer than a mere 45 min., at last)
Zero Hour (hell, they could headline the pre-show if it came down to it)
Tristania
Sirenia

--And from the Division of Dreams and Surprises Dept:

Ayreon (yeah, riight)
Ozric Tentacles (all 'crunchier songs' set :))

requiem99 said:
I want to see a return appearance by Pagan's Mind. I missed them at IV and they're gaining recognition as one of the world's best prog bands. If Enigmatic Calling sells as well in the USA as I think it might, they could be a headliner at VII, or at least 2nd from the end.

Are u seriously out of your mind? Pagan's Mind a headliner??? Dude, i think the band is cool, but lets not get carried away here. The most they would ever get, imo, is a 3rd slot for 60 minutes. There is no way in hell that they would even be considered for a higher spot than that at PP VIII. I don't care if they sell a million albums in the U.S. You need to be around a bit longer than them to be a headliner at PP.

nightwish58 said:
Are u seriously out of your mind? Pagan's Mind a headliner??? Dude, i think the band is cool, but lets not get carried away here. The most they would ever get, imo, is a 3rd slot for 60 minutes. There is no way in hell that they would even be considered for a higher spot than that at PP VIII. I don't care if they sell a million albums in the U.S. You need to be around a bit longer than them to be a headliner at PP.

I heard they were headlining PP Europe... but maybe that was a pre/post-party?

And do you realize what you just said? A million albums sold in the US? Yeah, you are right, they wouldn't be a headliner at progpower, they'd be WAY too big to headline there.

Pellaz said:
Hell, I'd be on board for any of these :)

Others I'd love to see, or see again...

Borknagar (or Spiral Architect again)
Vintersorg
Dragonforce
Sonata Arctica (since they won't be coming near here anytime soon)
Superior
Mercenary!
Green Carnation (LoD,DoD contractually required :))
Children of Bodom (for a set longer than a mere 45 min., at last)
Zero Hour (hell, they could headline the pre-show if it came down to it)
Tristania
Sirenia

--And from the Division of Dreams and Surprises Dept:

Ayreon (yeah, riight)
Ozric Tentacles (all 'crunchier songs' set :))

Yeah....I would have said Ayreon except for the topic a while ago about how it will never happen.

I noticed you mentioned Borknagar. Do you know Solefald? Lars from Borknagar is one of the two people in Solefald. They do post-black music......supposedly 'In Harmonia Universali' is more avant-garde, less black influence. Although if Orphaned Land can fit the bill, I think Solefald could even with material from something like Pills Against The Ageless Ills, the only album of theirs that I have. They're generally recommended for people that like Arcturus, since they also have the post-black thing going on.

These are possible headlining (or not) names I'd like to see next year :

Masterplan (maybe they'll answer Glenn this time)
Shaaman (even though the new album is pretty bad, they deserve a chance)
Blind Guardian (repetitions like this are always welcome)
Mercenary (They have to come back)
Rage (That's a band that deserves recognition in the US)

requiem99 said:
I heard they were headlining PP Europe... but maybe that was a pre/post-party?

And do you realize what you just said? A million albums sold in the US? Yeah, you are right, they wouldn't be a headliner at progpower, they'd be WAY too big to headline there.

I think that was just a way of saying.... a way of exaggerating... being sort of ironic.... You missed his point =P