ProgPower USA XVII (2016)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Has everyone been paying attention to the lineup this year, and the format change? It's essentially a 4 day festival now, and next year's lineup is looking pretty ridiculous.

This was just announced for Thursday Night headliner:

So that currently means:

Wednesday Night:
Dragonforce (best of set)
Spock's Beard
Stream of Passion
Lord

Thursday Night:
Blind Guardian
Circus Maximus
Gloryhammer
Pyramaze

Friday Night:
Fates Warning (Awaken the Guardian w/ John Arch)
Scar Symmetry
Gentle Storm
Freedom Call
Vanishing Point
Ascendia

Saturday Night:
Devin Townsend w/ Anneke Giersbergen
Haken
Refuge
Green Carnation
Serious Black
Savage Messiah

Mama mia!

I remember Circus Maximus and Freedom Call being good.

3 out of those 4 headliners are big time for ProgPower. Only Devin Townsend I liked was Ziltoid though

Yeah, Fates Warning with John Arch doing all of Awaken the Guardian is stupid fucking ridiculous, but I heard that this festival is, like, the lamest metal festival out there. Just a bunch of neckbeards sitting at tables drinking diet cokes.

I went when I was 18. Older bunch but it has(had?) stadium seating which was cool when you didn't feel like standing.

Yeah, Fates Warning with John Arch doing all of Awaken the Guardian is stupid fucking ridiculous, but I heard that this festival is, like, the lamest metal festival out there. Just a bunch of neckbeards sitting at tables drinking diet cokes.

Couldn't disagree more. I used to work the fest for many years. It's a giant family that always welcomes newcomers. At this point I would say a nice chunk of the attendees use this as their vacation each year because it's more than just bands/music for them. People meet back up, hang, socialize, hit the vendors - it's a pretty fun time. It is a good mix of age groups, so it's not the type of concert you may find a ton of 20 somethings getting nutty and forming a 150 person mosh pit or anything. Check out some of the clips on youtube it shows pretty much what it is like. Definitely recommended if you've never been.

I went when I was 18. Older bunch but it has(had?) stadium seating which was cool when you didn't feel like standing.

I loved the seating for sure, every seat is a good seat for the most part.

Far out that's a great lineup, good to see Lord there. I'll get to this one year, I think it's the one I most want to attend despite not being a huge fan of some of these bands.

Couldn't disagree more. I used to work the fest for many years. It's a giant family that always welcomes newcomers. At this point I would say a nice chunk of the attendees use this as their vacation each year because it's more than just bands/music for them. People meet back up, hang, socialize, hit the vendors - it's a pretty fun time. It is a good mix of age groups, so it's not the type of concert you may find a ton of 20 somethings getting nutty and forming a 150 person mosh pit or anything. Check out some of the clips on youtube it shows pretty much what it is like. Definitely recommended if you've never been.

I loved the seating for sure, every seat is a good seat for the most part.

Yeah, I was exaggerating there. I've only heard that it's just not like your typical metal festival. I also heard that it's run like a well oiled machine and they have thought of everything to accommodate their guests and performers. I'd love to go, but Atlanta just isn't close...even for John Arch.

Reactions: MetalAges
I just found out I have an extra ticket for Friday/Saturday, face value $150.
Reply if you're interested