Programmed Drum Velocities?

I usually set all of my velocities to be randomize between 115-125, and during fills I make every other hit softer to mimic "handedness."

During complex snare rolls, I think about what would really happen an change the velos til it sounds right.

Don't forget to either drop the snare velocity by 5 or drop the volume by a couple of db in those black metal blasts (or euro blasts or whatever the hell you wanna call it... the Kick Snare ones)!

I could write a book on this... Joey's got one possibly in the works, too.

Seriously, you have to be the embodiment of a drummer to do it well. Just put yourself in his shoes and think of how your body is reacting to the riff/beat/fill/groove/whatever.

Ya i do that when writing my parts and I actually figure out how a drummer would handle it actually playing. I suffered for a long ass time being the worlds best digital drummer cause i could hit 5 things at once .... i used my dick for a lot of it .... lol

I could write a book on this... Joey's got one possibly in the works, too.

Seriously, you have to be the embodiment of a drummer to do it well. Just put yourself in his shoes and think of how your body is reacting to the riff/beat/fill/groove/whatever.

+1 bazillion

I just sat around watching my drummer and Blake from BTBAM a lot. Copied how they accented things and what not. My cymbals always stay at like 110 and below. Snares vary a lot. If its thrash parts then I ride them in the 120 area and if its big back beats its full on 127.

I'll actually sit and tap out the beat with my hands as I'm programming it to get a feel for where the accents are. Kicks on the 1 downbeat always tend to naturally be a bit louder, as well as hi-hat hits that are being played on the downbeat with the snare.

I'll mess with velocities as I'm programming (and I like to toss in some ghost notes on the snare to really add more of a human element, along with hat/ride accents) and then I'll humanize a bit too in Reaper. The first notes in a fill I always do a bit louder since that's normally how I play them behind a kit :)

And yeah - DEFINITELY make sure you're dropping velocities on the snare (and the kick too a little bit) when you're programming blast beats. Nothing screams "fake" than a machine gun snare.

I'll also automate the verses down just a bit, vs. the intro, choruses, etc. Just to give the feel of the song a bit more push/pull.