Programming live drums

Stalmeseto

New Metal Member
Sep 4, 2009
I do not know the success rate of this, but it is what I plan on doing for the time being. Anyone have any experience using live programmed drums? I currently use Acoustica Beatcraft as my drum machine. Any and all tips/criticism/trolling would be appreciated. Thanks. \m/

I have not used programmed drums in a live situation ever, but sometimes have in rehearsal. I usually program my drum lines in Guitar Pro, or using EZ Drummerwith Nuendo, then export the MIDI file to Ableton Live, and run that off a laptop into the PA.

This might be a convoluted way to do this, but works for me.

I know some metal bands do this (Agoraphobic Nosebleed comes to mind), so I don't see any reason why you couldn't pull this off. Just make sure to humanize the drums (vary the volume of the hits and make them off time by a few milliseconds), or else it's going to sound really odd and robotic (unless that's what you're going for, of course).

Many times I use EZdrummer or Addictive drums to sketch before tracking the real drums.
I never used the Acoustica Beatcraft. One tip to humanize it is to vary the dynamics of mainly the snare and toms. Also don't put everything 100% dead on the grid.

Hope this helps.

cheers