Progressing with the Guitar

Now let's be gay and take our cocks out, how many bpm can you tremolo pick? Not that I've ever even played on a metronome yet, so I have no clue how many bpm I can play myself.

Moonstruck said:
Are there people here who use dropped tunings? I plan to record some electric and acoustic stuff in D / drop C in the future, any tips on what strings go well with these tunings? I need thicker strings I think, but well, I don't have an idea on what gauge I should look for.

yes i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms, although intend to change, i think they fucked up my neck cause i stupidly reverted to tuning to standard E, without taking them off. I think they should be used at least to D tuning (and not drop D either, although you'll get away with drop C) or below....if not, too much tension. I have to get a pro to look at my setup this weekend because of it.

Use them, just be careful you weren't as stupid as i was!

Gauges are:

they sound REALLY meaty.

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
yes i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms...they sound REALLY meaty.

Try using Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky. :D The name says it all. Awesome for downtuning. Gauges are 11 and 54 for the two E strings.

As for picks, I used to use Paul Gilbert's Ibanez model but I'm currently using Dunlop Nylons, gauges from .84 up to 1. They have an awesome grip and I've grown accustomed to their slightly larger size.

Referring to the way one must hold a pic, I'm glad to find out you guys think the thumb-curled index way is the correct one because that's how I've been holding it from day one. Found out I always played better/faster riffs and could do pinched harmonics easilly when people that would hold it in another way wouldn't be able to.

As far as improving myself guitar-wise, I've taken it very slow this far and I'm mostly self taught. I write songs and I enjoy composing much more than any form of guitar wanking. However for the 5 months I did some lessons in theory and technical excercises I realized how much they can help both with playing and songwriting. I'm planning on taking some more guitar lessons this summer, if all goes well.

I bought a set of slinky's for the Hellraiser about 2 days ago. I don't really like them. The higher strings feel a bit too slippery and skinny.

I'm still a D'Addario guy at heart. Never had a set break on me.

Moonlapse said:
I bought a set of slinky's for the Hellraiser about 2 days ago. I don't really like them. The higher strings feel a bit too slippery and skinny.

I'm still a D'Addario guy at heart. Never had a set break on me.

I like Ernie Balls (lmao) but I've also bought a set of nickel plated D'Addarios...should be interesting. I don't like the normal D'Addarios though, they feel too rough and kinda...I don't know, crap. Always imo.

I play for 4-6 hours a day, mainly recording/writing. But I do play some basic "1-2-3-4" and scale exercises several times a day.

I do little bits of everything. Frequently, I'll do a quick, short sweep followed by an extended alternate picking line into a descending legato phrase. I don't have a set routine, but I always end up playing some exercises and working on various techniques.

D'Addario 10 rules for recording I think , you can use lighter ones for playing. But harder strings makes you a better player too( I think ).Because playin with them is harder and when you get used to them you can sweep and etc. on lighter strings.

An Absent Friend said:
D'Addario 10 rules for recording I think , you can use lighter ones for playing. But harder strings makes you a better player too( I think ).Because playin with them is harder and when you get used to them you can sweep and etc. on lighter strings.

I think that's true. I have those really fat strings on my guitar right now and I played some solos (and still playing) with them, so then when I play even on 10s they seem really light and bends come out with the greatest ease.

So I pretty much think I'll keep them until I can play really well with these so that I can later on transfer to thin ones :p

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
yes i use ernie ball skinny top heavy bottoms, although intend to change, i think they fucked up my neck cause i stupidly reverted to tuning to standard E, without taking them off. I think they should be used at least to D tuning (and not drop D either, although you'll get away with drop C) or below....if not, too much tension. I have to get a pro to look at my setup this weekend because of it.

Use them, just be careful you weren't as stupid as i was!

Gauges are:

they sound REALLY meaty.

Ah, thanks man. The neck on my acoustic is a bit fucked too, I think due to the weather.

soundave said:
Use a metronome and start slowly with any exercise. Pay attention to the details, make sure you are playing cleanly before speeding up.

This is good advice and what I was going to say. Sadly I only started using a metronome a few days ago but it helps a lot and lets you build up speed comfortably and gives you a lot of confidence.