Tyr: Bass Technique question/guidance wanted!

panzer0x

In Maya's Grip
Jun 16, 2003
Oslo
Ahoy! I've been playing bass for about 1 1/2 years now, and are progressing quite nicely. However, I have trouble finding a good 3 finger technique to learn since I want to play faster-than-average music,(speedy jazz/death stuff) and my 2-finger technique doesnt cut it (8th notes at about 230bpm max :erk: )

Got any Tips, exercises, suggestions? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
(P.S. I believe I go to the same school as your niese(?)( søskenbarn?), unless she is lying, which I don't think she is :) )

I've made a good deal of posts on this subject before, just do search on the posts I've made(especially the ones I've done on Steve DiGiorgio's forum here at UM), and you'll find a few on right-hand technique. But basically, there isn't any textbook answer to develop speed other than what you might have heard before, practice - alot of practice. Use a metronome, start slow and gradually increase the tempo, don't rush it, you have to learn to walk before you can run....
Say hello to Elin from me then :)

Reactions: Henrik Main
Thanks for the reply. I spent some time reading your, Steves, and others posts on this subject and learned quite a bit. I decided to put away my 1-2-3 right hand technique, and have started with the 3-2-1 technique instead. It falls more naturally for me, and will hopefully work out well. The goal is 16'ths in 150 bpm before christmas :)

Tyr said:
Say hello to Elin from me then :)

I will :)

My bass teacher told me that the 1 and 2 fingers are stronger then the 3 finger, so in theory you can play just as fast with the 1 and 2 fingers as you would with 3 of them.

I believe the 3-2-1-2 seems to be most simple...

I dont know really if what I have read is through, but I think I should be able to thrust him, after all his years of experience

DeathMetal said:
My bass teacher told me that the 1 and 2 fingers are stronger then the 3 finger, so in theory you can play just as fast with the 1 and 2 fingers as you would with 3 of them.
That's why you have to gain strength in your ring-finger before you can use the three-finger technique properly. But once your ring-finger is as strong as your middle & index finger, then you will be much faster with that technique. It's really weird that you teacher doesn't know that...

Interesting thread, since I have the right-hand technique of a retarded monkey. Do any of you know any good exercises to increase right-hand finger strength quickly? Since I only really play bass when I have to for demo/band purposes, my fingers get out of shape between bass-playing stints.

Hey Tyr, do you know any excercise to strengthen your left hand, especially the pinkie?
I trying to learn "Linus & Lucy" by Hamm, and I'm poorer than you can think, so I cant buy those "hand-strenghteners-squeeze-thingies"

Just throwing in a semi-unimportant question here, anyone feel free to answer.

I find playing my E string (got a 4 string) harder than the other lighter strings. I'm about 5-10 bpm's slower on that string compared to the others, so fuck-ups do happen rhythmically. I notice that my plucking hand is more curled up when playing the E string, because I let my thumb rest on the pickup.
Should I try to let go of my thumb and raise my hand a bit, or is the E string just harder to play because of it's girth? Kinda stupid question, I know, but I have never gotten a good answer to this.

Cheers

@MardyAss:

Infact there are alot of exercises for the left-hand.
Example: one finger per fret starting on fret 1 on the E string move 1-2-3-4 (1=index, 2=middlefinger, 3=ringfinger, 4=pinkie) over to the A string 1-2-3-4, D string etc.
There are many variations, 1-2-3-4, 1-3-2-4, 1-4-2-3, 1-2-4-3 etc and backwards starting on your highest string. Move also up and down the neck.
You can do this with stringskipping too. Many, many variations, that will strenghten your lefthand.

@panzer0x:

Have you tried moving your righthand closer towards the bridge? The string feels tighter there, and that makes it abit easier.

Reactions: Morgana
Thanks a million dude!

another thing...
I'm maybe joining a dm band, but I have this "slight" problem.
They have years of experience, I have under three.
What do I have to do to prepare my self and such alike?

MardyAss said:
Thanks a million dude!

another thing...
I'm maybe joining a dm band, but I have this "slight" problem.
They have years of experience, I have under three.
What do I have to do to prepare my self and such alike?

You posted this on Bassists of Death, huh? ;) I just threw "Hammer Smashed Face" by Cannibal Corpse in my practice rotation. It's a great workout, tons of chromatic (1-2-3-4) riffs, string skipping, 16th notes, and that crazy solo bass fill in the beginning. Grab that and the "Genuine Pulse" powertab (get it off of MxTabs or Powertab Archive), it's got great 16th note runs and groove parts. (I had to transpose some of the groove parts to a four-string, but it sounds just as good.) Just my two cents. :p

a question i had was when i play bass (i've been playing guitar for 9 years, but i picked up bass for my band) i play fingerstyle, and sometimes if i hit the strings too hard it makes some kind of clicking sound, i think it may be the string colliding with the fret. would it be more advised to try and pick lighter? what can i do to prevent this? it just sounds too sloppy, that's all.

Necramentia said:
a question i had was when i play bass (i've been playing guitar for 9 years, but i picked up bass for my band) i play fingerstyle, and sometimes if i hit the strings too hard it makes some kind of clicking sound, i think it may be the string colliding with the fret. would it be more advised to try and pick lighter? what can i do to prevent this? it just sounds too sloppy, that's all.

Pick lighter, which of course means either turning up, or preferably getting more gain/response from your pickups. I'm putting a set of active EMGs in my shitty Dean bass this weekend, shoud turn a shitty bass with good action into something worth playing. :Spin: And, like (I think?) Tyr posted, play closer to the bridge. I know some people don't like the tone you get from this, but change your settings accordingly, and you should be golden. Remember, always change your sound and settings based on the way you play, not vice versa. :headbang:

i tried this, but i liked a lot better not only the sound, but the feel of it when i play between my two pickups. it just felt better. but i'll try a little more. thanks.