Progressive Electronic Music !!

turke

Aug 16, 2003
Dystopia
Well i've always been a fan of electronic music, especially trance, even the times when i had no idea what progressive rock is :)

We all know, electronic music is kinda young in the music industry, cause you know, you need lots of high technology stuff to make it. But it might just be evoluted by the touch of extremely talented guys out there.

One of them is "BT" (Brian Transeau). He is an american electronic music artist, and a studio mastermind. Actually he also has some rock songs in his portofilo too. He just released his latest album "This binary universe", and believe me, this is just great. It is not the ordinary boring stuff you always complain about. There really is a music flowing in it. Just give it a try and decide yourself.

More info: http://www.thisbinaryuniverse.com/

I take it that he really is influenced from Robert Miles' stuff, for me, he is one of the leaders in making quality electronic music. Back in 1996, he blew away all the charts with a song without lyrics, may be for the first time in history. I'm sure you all remember "children" (if your age lets you to :) ). Well it was just the beginning, now he got underground, and he is collabrating with very famous musicians around the world like the amazing percussionist "Trilok Gurtu". They have an album together, which is jazzy electronic music i can say in style. Quite interesting. If you are interested, please check him out too:

http://www.robert-miles.com/

turke said:
Well i've always been a fan of electronic music, especially trance, even the times when i've no idea what progressive rock is :)

We all know, electronic music is kinda young in the music industry, cause you know, you need lots of high technology stuff to make it. But it might just be evoulted by the touch of extremely talented guys out there.

One of them is "BT" (Brian Transeau). He is an american electronic music artist, and a studio mastermind. Actually he also has some rock songs in his portofilo too. He just released his latest album "This binary universe", and believe me, this is just great. It is not the ordinary boring stuff you always complain about. There really is a music flowing in it. Just give it a try and decide yourself.

More info: http://www.thisbinaryuniverse.com/

I take it that he really got influenced from Robert Miles' stuff, for me, he is one of the leaders in making quality electronic music. Back in 1996, he blew away all the charts with a song without lyrics, may be for the first time in history. I'm sure you all remember "children" (if your age lets you to :) ). Well it was just the beginning, now he got underground, and he is collabrating with very famous musicians around the world like the amazing percussionist "Trilok Gurtu". They have an album together, which is jazzy electronic music i can say in style. Quite interesting. If you are interested, please check him out too:

http://www.robert-miles.com/
Children is a fantastic track, although the only other Robert Miles I remember was called "One and one". I liked that too. I'll give This Binary Universe a listen, thanks for the tip :)

BT is great. Probably not alot of electronic music fans here, but I love electronic music and progressive rock/metal, and I love combinations of the two.

Another great multi-genre artist who does the electronic/progressive rock thing (as well as pretty much everything else) thing is Bjorn Lynne. He would probably have a strong of appealing to fans of prog rock/metal, and would be a good gateway artist into electronic music.

Here's a link to his CD shop: http://lynnemusic.com/cdshop.html

There are a lot of different album styles to choose from. Something like "The Gods Awaken" is equal parts prog rock, electronic, world, and orchestral. His new one "Beneath Another Sky" has a stronger electronic presence with some great prog/world flavors. "Return to Witchwood" is a sorta folk/ambient/rock type thing. "Revive" and "Colony" are electronic rock.

Sorry for the derailment lol. ;)

I've heard about BT, some folks at DT.net/bb are constantly raving about it. I saw the trailer and shit sounded good so I'm giving it a listen soon. Electronic music can be very good and should not be overlooked by fans of 'real' music.
I'm no electronica expert but artists like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle and Venetian Snares are awesome.

I am happy about your reactions in this thread. I thought it would die without any replies, but it didn't.

turke said:
I am happy about your reactions in this thread. I thought it would die without any replies, but it didn't.

You're welcome :loco: I too think that Electronic music deserves more attention.

Update: just listened to the BT album. No words. I'm going to order it, because I heard the stereo mix is nothing compared to the 5.1 DVD that goes with it. This album is getting praised as the first major electronic music album of the 21st century, and it really IS something special. I might say this is a revolution for electronic music. It's that damn good.

That's great pal. By the way i know that Netherlands is also kinda like the clubland of Europe, one of the countries who praise electronic music. Many good producers and djs are coming from your homeland. So probably you are hearing very much of electronic music there. Right ? Of course if you are interested :) Any suggestions ?

I know, the dance culture is very big here. The biggest example might be DJ Tiësto, but I'm sure you've heard from him! Truth is, I'm not very big on the dance music here in Holland. What I'm into is the more adventurous electronic music, not 'normal' trance. I have absolutely no problem with the sound of trance, it's just that the popular trance tunes are always very monotone and boring. BT is by the way very unknown here in Holland..

karelrulez said:
I know, the dance culture is very big here. The biggest example might be DJ Tiësto, but I'm sure you've heard from him! Truth is, I'm not very big on the dance music here in Holland. What I'm into is the more adventurous electronic music, not 'normal' trance. I have absolutely no problem with the sound of trance, it's just that the popular trance tunes are always very monotone and boring. BT is by the way very unknown here in Holland..

I completely understand you and agree with you. Talking about the change and evolution of electronic music, yes, "This Binary Universe" is absolutely a mile stone for the genre, but, i think this evolution was already started in nineties, when Chicane started to release his first works like "offshore", or Robert Miles released his second album "23 am.". I strongly suggest this album to any music lover, cause i think it is still one of the most tremendous things that came to the music scene. Not just electronic music. It has such great diversity, every song is very different from each other, but it is such a great concept album that each song is connected to each other in content. The crossings between the songs just flawless. Such a craftmanship, you even can't see in most of the progressive rock albums. He is a great musician.