Progressive Metal reald amp/drummer need to know if this sounds final!!

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys let me know if you think this track sounds good enough to be on the final cd, there are no vocals yet but when i get them tracked i will post it. This song is written by me and will be on my bands next release just need your opinion on if it is professional sounding enough.

Any advice would be good

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9463730/ENDING SONG FINAL MIX.mp3

I think it's a really nice and balanced mix. And the piece of the song itsself sounds good, really nice atmosphere. But since you asked for opinions on anything: I like the drums in general but maybe the cymbals would be nicer if they were a little less 'clanky' or metallic. And the lowend is nice and tight, but I would prefer the bass to have a little more "voice of it's own" instead of only supporting the guitar. Then again, I'm a sucker for more 'middy' and non-distorted basstones, probably not many will agree on this and it won't make the mix sound more/less pro (and of course it has to fit the music), but it's just my little opinion. :)

yea i see where you are coming from on the cymbals and ideas on working that clanky shit out?

And actually the only thing i am not really pleased with is the bass tone so i can agree i would like to hear the mids a bit more and a little bass click, i think i need a sans amp to work with unfortunately i am just using the DI lol

Thanks for the reply and info on working the cybmals/bass would be great

Well the cymbals should be easy. Just look around 4000Hz (sweep a bit to find the most 'clanky' stuff) and take it out just so it sounds nice, I usually have a Q of around 2 for the EQ. I'm also big fan of using a tape saturation emulator on cymbals, in my case Nebula (which I think is great, and you can try the free version, it already has a reasonably usable tape sim preset).

The bass is a little harder. Well, since I'm a fan of clean sounding bass. And it's also personal preference. But what you can do for a more clear bass is put less low-mids (~ 200Hz) in it, and boost more around 800-1200 Hz. I go for the lower mostly, but that's because I like a more oldschool sound, a little higher is more modern I think. Don't make the boost too wide, but on bass I don't have a problem to boost like even maybe 6dB. Just experiment with it, it's so different on each bass sound and what you want to achieve.