Promoting the new album

Protected Witness

Magickal Theatre 33
Sep 27, 2002
www.mrniel.net
www.mrniel.net
I don't understand why so many posters are getting upset about "Deliverance" being shared over the internet before its official release date. This is the fault of the record companies handing out promo-copies to the media. In the old days, it obviously wasn't that easy to mass distribute promo-copies of an album before the release date, but nowadays with the internet, it's kind of pointless to complain about it, cause there will always be someone who is willing to share it online, and one person is all it takes. Today, getting to hear an album before its release date is in the hands of the record companies. Maybe they shouldn't pass out promos so early before the release date.

And besides, the album will continue to circulate over Person to Person shareware after its release, just like all the other Opeth albums, and pretty much anyone's album. This isn't going to stop until all those companies that made that shareware are lawfully made to cease the use of it, like Napster. The chances of that happening seem pretty slim right now, so supporting your favorite artist works like this:

If you like them and want them to make a living at what they do, you will support them with your hard earned money.

It's pretty simple.

I had copies of all the Opeth albums before I bought them all, and they were made by friends. I didn't even download them. How come no one ever gripes about that? How is downloading off the internet and having someone record you a tape or cd-r of an album different? They're not! It's the record companies fault for producing it's product on such an easily accesible, cheap medium that can be widely distributed and mass produced in a matter of days. If they really wanted you to buy cds, they would stop making them cost $18.99 and up.

At any rate, I like Opeth. And as with all the bands I want to support, I will buy their cds when they are released. Being able to "test drive" a cd, so to speak, is pretty fair for a cd that is going to cost you $20 at the mall.

So anyway, with all that ranting out of the way, let me promote "Deliverance" now that I've digested my "promo" copy:
-------------------------------------------------

(moving review to new thread)

Originally posted by Mr. Niel
How is downloading off the internet and having someone record you a tape or cd-r of an album different?
It's a question of scale. Leaving aside the assholes who sell cd-r's, in order for you to get a copy of something, you have to know someone who already has it, or atleast a copy of it. If noone in your social circle has it, you don't get it. Whereas, on the net, it only requires one person to rip it, then everyone can get it, and most of the time you have no idea who the person even is that you're getting it from.
I'll quite happily burn something for someone (that I know they wouldn't buy otherwise, and I put limits on it, only a few albums total, no more than one per band etc...), but I have a problem with downloading things (and no, I'm not talking abouut my crappy 56k modem ;)), simply because I think the way it all works now is broken. The whole concept of trying things out is great (hell, my local library loans cds, I even found a Satyricon album once), I've done it, I facilitate others doing it, and I think the internet could be great (and it is, I have no doubt many bands have benefitted greatly from it (I also think there are bands that have been harmed by it, record labels most probably are, which in turn affects bands etc I won't go on, you can figure it out... ;))). It's just I have no faith in humanity and I'm 100% certain it gets abused horribly, so I cannot support it.
And no, I don't know what the solution is, but I wish record labels woul quit complaining and do something positive about it.......

You make some good points, especially:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I wish record labels would quit complaining and do something positive about it.......

Of course they are different in scale, but what I meant is how is one more illegal than the other? There's no answer to that question, because they are the same.

Its illegal but its here to stay.

Record companies should realise it and should start to use it to their advantage, for example leaking a track can help promote the album, it will give the fans a taster and get them even more excited and keen and also could make other people aware of thier stuff.

I see no problem with trying before you buy, a lot of bands have benfitted from people just downloadin ght odd track here and there. People who just keep the mp3 copies were probably not going to buy the cd anyway so are not lost sales.