Pronunciation Correction Tool?

exoslime

Nov 11, 2008
Austria
Hi,

do you know any plugin that does analyse the spelling of spoken accents and pronunciation and si able to correct them (to american english for example)
Our singer is not a native American-English speaker and is worried that some words are not spoken out correctly.
Perhaps there is a nice programm avaliable to make such checks

how did singers like celine dion, shakira, marie fredriksion (roxette) back then, when they hardly could talk english but had a nearly flawless pronunciation on the records?
i guess they invited a native speaker trainer and went through all the lines together, which would be the 2nd option for us to invite somebody to us and work through it

ciao
chris

I know diction is something professional singers practice on an almost daily basis. It's not so much knowing the language but how to do the accent/s and how to correctly shape the vowels. Outside of YT'ing a bunch of music and imitating it flawlessly I don't think there is anything more that can be done.

That sounds like it would be a rad plug in though. Maybe someone will get to work on it. :)

Haha...how I wish it was even possible for a plug in like that to exist.
No man, you must do it the hard way. When I track vocals with my band's singer it takes so much more time than it would for a native english speaker just because we spend most of it trying to achieve a decent pronunciation. For me it's even more important than being on key since at least I can tune the vocals later. And even then it's never perfect.

Let's ask Dropkick Murphy's, Björk, Nightwish, or System of a Down, how much did the 'incorrect' pronunciation hurt their careers. I'd shure like to know how many grammys or platinum albums it cost them.

thanks for all your imputs so far, its really about details in pronunciation some words, but as a non native you never now how a certain word come across, not that someone may think that the singer just came straight from the barnyard.. lol

I was afraid that such a programm does not exist, but when i look around and see whats technically all possible today, i dont see any valid reason why such a plugin shouldnt be possible to make. ha :lol

the last thing we want to do is to iron out the uniquness of the voice, just to avoid some strange or not correct sounding pronunciation, where some native would say.ugh.. that word or syllable sounded strange.
but on the other hand, a misspronucation also can sound cute, a female speaking with french accent for example. :)

As far as accents / misspronunciations are considered, I'd say your stereotypical austrian cavalryofficial-english suits metal extremely well. Can you imagine how awesome would be Schwarzenegger singing KISS's Detroit Rock City? "Getap! Gettaun!"

Let's ask Dropkick Murphy's, Björk, Nightwish, or System of a Down, how much did the 'incorrect' pronunciation hurt their careers. I'd shure like to know how many grammys or platinum albums it cost them.

They all seem to speak english very well, possibly learned it at a very young age. Except maybe System of A Down, I think that dude just speaks crazy fast when he doesn't know how to pronounce anything..... Wake up! bbfdbuafbseufha;kfhalkjdfahff Make up!

You could always go that route....

Or post up some examples in the rate my mix and ask us to help correct them

I don't consider any of them to have bad pronunciation. You should listen to some greek singers.

But either way, it's what works best for you and how you want your music to sound. Just because someone can have a career and be an average guitarist doesn't mean that people shouldn't try to be better at guitar.

I think I really should up the ante on my tongue-in-cheek-repertuare.. I could propably start a landfill firm with the amounts of sand I seem to jam up peoples crotches.

In Flames- Jester Race, man. Lots of mispronouncing there and on a bunch of old Swedish metal records.

I'd get someone to work with ya. Or buy an English dictionary with the phonetics included in it.

:lol: True but it might come in handy to have a pocket size dictionary in the vocal booth. Or a laptop.

I'm old man gimme a break. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about pronunciation unless its so off it's crazy. Think about singers like Serj from System and others. Pronunciation that's a little off (because of an accent) matched with an interesting voice beats spot on everything every time. For me at least.

Proununciation changes quite drastically when singing in English anyway. People who are non-rhotic start using the rhotic R and vice versa, the A's and O's are especially malleable.

Thanks for all your inputs

As far as accents / misspronunciations are considered, I'd say your stereotypical austrian cavalryofficial-english suits metal extremely well. Can you imagine how awesome would be Schwarzenegger singing KISS's Detroit Rock City? "Getap! Gettaun!"
LOL, awesome ROFL

If you want a reference I'm sure some American's could record a reading of your lyrics.
thats a very good idea!!, we might do that or invite somebody american native to work together through the lyrics